cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

2,007 REPLIES 2,007
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Re: w, Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Oh LB that's beautiful.. Just what I needed to kick start my Monday 

@DiKat wrote:

That’s lovely LB. Thanks for sharing xx

That’s lovely LB. Thanks for sharing xx

LB

I saw this on Facebook and thought of all the comfort and help that I have had from all you ladies 🤗 93CB2232-C226-4E0F-9C3C-0608B8AE7FFD.jpeg

Thanks Jayne for sorting WhatsApp, I’ve pm-ed you. G and Dikat, so pleased to hear your good news! xx

Thanks for doing this Jaynie!

ive sent you my details.

Sunnydaze xx

Have sent my number for the WhatsApp group :-) thanks lovely ladies!

@Stuck at 14 wrote:

Good to read that we are all being sensible and talking about strange lumps or symptoms. I wonder if they are quite used to lots of worries when they see us towards the end if treatment. 

I had a biopsy on a scar tissue lump, I'm having a chest scan because I'm worried about my cough, and I'm also worried about how achey my legs are- it's all over ache like I've run a marathon but comes on when I've rested for a bit :-/ 

Good to read that we are all being sensible and talking about strange lumps or symptoms. I wonder if they are quite used to lots of worries when they see us towards the end if treatment. 

I had a biopsy on a scar tissue lump, I'm having a chest scan because I'm worried about my cough, and I'm also worried about how achey my legs are- it's all over ache like I've run a marathon but comes on when I've rested for a bit :-/ 

OK this WhatsApp group. Anyone who is interested in the meet up, message me with your mobile phone number and I will set up the group. Even if you are not sure about coming, join the group and see where and when and by the time it comes round you may find yourself wanting to come. Also you can join later or leave the group at any time. There is no pressure here. 

Hi gocat

Your past experience is proof that it is so important to get things checked out. I’m pleased you followed your instincts. 

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been having discomfort under my right arm, opposite side to my cancer. I had a feel around my right boob and it felt different and lumpy. I tried to have a word with myself, you know all the usual stuff like I’ve recently had chemo, I had an MRI at the end of March and everything was fine then etc etc. I just couldn’t get it out of my head though so told breast surgeon when I was getting my results on Wednesday. Both she and my Macmillan nurse were so lovely. The surgeon examined me and said she couldn’t feel anything unusual but she would get me scanned straight away to put my mind at rest. This was done and everything apart from some small cysts was normal. My boobs are really small so because there is very little fat apparently I am feeling glandular tissue which they said is probably changing as I’m heading towards the menopause. Sometimes I think I am going to drive myself insane!! My Macmillan nurse said never feel embarrassed about getting things checked out as it’s far more important to do that and put worries to bed rather than suffer the effects of the worrying. I do feel lucky that they are all so understanding. The Oncology nurses are good at my hospital but all the staff in my breast care unit are in a league of their own. They are so caring and have understanding and empathy in abundance.

Sunnydaze, love shake it off...always makes me smile. My 2 granddaughters love it too 💃 

Sorry to hear the rads are pulling you down. Keep strong, like you say half way there and you will be back swimming before you know it!

I get what you say about hiding away and it must make it easy for you to do it with where you live. I do find, however, the more you make yourself get out there and do so called ‘normal’ things, the easier it is and the less time you have to think about the numerous anxieties. 

I’ve managed to have a nice day today. Hubby and I took our younger daughter to Leeds to the University open day. She is due to go Sept 2020. It was lovely even though I have constant reminders that my body is not the same. I need to go for a wee more often, leg and back ache after a certain amount of walking, feel breathless climbing stairs etc etc. Know all of you ladies will get this. I feel absolutely knackered now 🤪

Nov would be good with me for a meet up. Will have to get Jayne to get this WhatsApp group going. Fingers crossed the rain stops and we can all do at least one nice thing for ourselves over the weekend. Going to have a glass of wine tonight so cheers 🥂 ladies xx

Also had some problem with post menopausal bleeding.  Had a ultrasound scan last week and now they phoned me and said there is some thickening on lining of womb and want to do a hysterscopy on Monday.  One thing after another.  And I thought I was at the end of treatment when I finished my chemo.

Cancer, the gift that keeps on giving.  

Hopefully will all turn out to be nothing.  But best to be checked out.  

Hi Gocat

Gosh good job you were assertive and got seen.  I never felt a lump at all with my cancer just noticed changes and my tumour was 6 cms! I had to phone the MacMillan Radiographer this morning about my skin. I feel as they think I’m being paranoid about things and a nuisance. 😟😟.  I’m going to have bloods done next week. I’ll phone the bcn and see her as well. 

Im the same drummerwidow.  I saw plastic surgeon last week about phase 2 from my reconstruction last year, and pointed out a lump I have near my masectomy/reconstruction scar, and he said I just need to massage it more.   I thought about it when I got home and contacted my bcn and now got an appt to see my breast cancer surgeon next Wednesday. Im not taking chances.  I want it biopsied just to make sure. 

My diagnosis last year was only because I queried a tiny lump on my lumpectomy scar from previous cancer 10 years ago.  GP, etc thought it was just scar tissue but referred me to breast cancer unit at my insistence and glad I did as it turn out to be triple negative cancer.  

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Big fat hug right back at you sunnydaze 👭👭😁😁beautifully written below ❤️You are all doing amazing and the ups and downs are all part of the journey, you let it out when you need to and you get your kick ass boots on when you need to 😘😘and together you are 💪💪💪💪💕💕✨✨✨Shi xx

Hi Ladies,

First of all I want to say how pleased I was to hear good news from Dikat and G. I know there are still a lot of demons to live with, but the news could have been so much worse and I’m so glad it wasn’t. I’m really pleased for you both xxx  👍👍👍👍

I hope you enjoyed your champagne G and I also so hope that you now don’t have to have a double mastectomy.

Jayne, I’m sorry you’re feeling low and I understand that feeling of  “slapping” out of it. I  sometimes play “ Shake it Off” by Taylor Swift when I feel like this. It cheers me up to have a wee dance around the kitchen sometimes. 🤣🤣🤣 Nothing changes, but I get a wee dance.

Stuck at 14, I hope you’re doing ok. I felt really sad to read your post and to know that you’re really struggling. I hope that you can get some support. I have always found my lovely female GP helpful because my local cancer team support has been non existent.

When I worry about death and recurrence I tell myself that I could just as easily be knocked down by a bus etc. 

I know we all have to face mortality at some point, it’s just that cancer makes you look at your own mortality up front and personal. May be we should just turn this around and learn to live our best lives, one step at a time?

AbsolutelyAnnie, it’s really good to hear how good your team have been to you and I’m sorry to hear how hard it has been to end seeing this supportive group of people.

I hope you are able to find more support  moving forward, from Macmillan or a local support group of BC ladies. I think you said you had been to your local Maggies and they are just fabulous in offering a hand of support.

It’s really really tough to try and rebuild yourself up again after this ordeal. I am really struggling with this too and I am making very slow progress. I am over anxious, sensitive, I can cry at the drop of a hat and will easily take things the wrong way  some days and other days I feel fine, but having rads has  really pulled me back down again. At least it’s only short term and I’m already half way through and then I can go swimming again - my safety valve. 🏊‍♀️

I just  generally tend to  hide away ( it’s easy Because I live in the country) and feel protected by my husband and my two gorgeous teenage daughters, but I know I cannot hide away forever. I’m hoping the school holidays will help when we will get out and about, as my husband is a teacher too. I’m hoping getting out and about will help me reintegrate again 🤣🤣🤣🤣 i sound like a prisoner, with no hair lol!!!

Drummerswidow, yes, I absolutely second what everyone else has said. I would go to your GP and lay it on thick so you can get a second opinion. I know how you feel, when I found the sebaceous cyst on my scalp ( it’s nothing to worry about) my GP put my mind at rest. I was in tears in the surgery. Definitely put pressure on the medics to get this sorted and put your mind at rest.

And finally... Re; a meet up.👍 It was me Jayne that suggested a WhatsApp group. I haven’t done anything about it because rads has pulled me back down again and not feeling great tbh. I still think it will be a lovely thing to do though. If anyone else wanted to go and set something up, that’s fine with me, but I think early November would be the earliest I could manage.

love and big fat hugs to all you amazing ladies.

Sunnydaze xxxx😘😘😘😘❤️💕

Drummerswidow, in no way are you being stupid. I would be exactly the same. I've had double mastectomy but am still feeling all around my boobs every day and questioning every thing that feels odd. Try crying to the breast care nurses and see if they can pull and strings to get you a biopsy and put your mind at rest. Worry is not good. 

Take care

Xx

G

Hi Drummerswidow, fully empathise with your feelings here and completely agree with DiKat, if your mind can’t settle speak to someone. 

Big hugs xx 

I would feel exactly as you do Drummerswidow. Friends say things like that because they mean well but anyone who hasn’t been in our situation cannot truly understand. If you continue to feel worried, please get it checked out because the worrying can be so damaging xx

Jayne, no slaps from us lot. Just wish I could give you a big hug 🤗 xx

Stuck at 14, hope you’re ok. Please vent if you need to xx

Fab news G. Hope you enjoyed that champagne 🥂 xx

On Monday when I saw the surgeon he found a small lump on my scar line. He doesn’t think it’s anything to worry about because I have had chemo and radiotherapy. I have to keep an eye on it and to contact them if it gets bigger. With my sensible brain, I know he’s right but with my cancer head on I’m now worrying about it. I mentioned it to a couple of my friends who say I’m being stupid. They haven’t had breast cancer though 😟😟

Jayne 1966

As G said you are allowed to feel low. None of us will tell you to buck your ideas up or tell you you should be feeling better now.  Vent your feelings, have a good cry. We all have to do it to keep ourselves sane.  

You will have days of feeling low it’s only natural. Sending a big hug xx

G

Jayne, you are very much allowed to be low, feel low,whatever.  It is brave and real to admit how you feel and I am very grateful that this is a place we can all share the ups and downs of this crazy world.  In my day of good news, I am very much still under the cloud of worry and rubbish, I can’t shake that, people around me are happier and more relieved than I am and I think this is because only we know the true extent of the fear and pain we have built up over the months.

Big hugs and please remember that we are all here for you G xxxx 

I won't slap you Jayne, I'm really sorry you feel low but it is definitely completely understandable. I wont ramble on about my last few days again but safe to say I have cried a lot. 

I'm Sorry I dont remember exactly where you are up to but wherever it is you are amazing g to have got through it and there will be sunnier days very soon I promise. Xxx

Someone slap me please. Why do I feel so low? 

That’s fab news G on your test results and PET scan. Hope you enjoy popping the champagne to mark all you've achieved. Here’s to you 🍾🥂.

Good luck with recon discussions and continuing to move through and on your treatment. 

KC72 x

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

G😁👍👍💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Fantastic news 🥂🥂🍾🍾so pleased for you 😘😘💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Hi G

That’s good news! Enjoy your champagne! X

G

On the good news bandwagon, genetic test results negative and I have also been called by my oncologist’s secretary letting me know that my full body PET scan that I had yesterday is all normal 🙌  I was sent for this as my blood results before each chemo were a little odd (tumour markers, liver, calcium) but obviously that was simply how my body was reacting as all ok! 

So my next steps are....

1. Agree what my reconstruction options are on my flat side

2. To understand whether I can have my healthy boob gone and if so how we reconstruct this 

3. Start Tamoxifen 

4. Open some champagne for achieving so much over the last 8 months 🥂

I am very much aware there are many more physical and emotional things to encounter here, but relieved that we are ALL making massive steps in the right direction.  Hopefully the crapiness is becoming a little more contained rather than making up the entire picture which is where we all started from. Big hugs ladies, thank you G x 

Highlighted
Kip Community Champion
Community Champion

Great news Ditkat!   It really is a weird time when you finish one area of treatment and move on or get "let go" for a while... hard to process and something I have struggled with sometimes.. but time, as always, helps with the moving on.  For those of you still on the rollercoaster.. don't worry.. be strong and you'll get there too.

Sending big hugs

Kip

x

LB2

Way to go DiKat, excellent news especially as you had to wait so long for the results.

Stuck at 12, sorry you are feeling low and still have surgery to come when most of us are coming to an end of treatment. Try to stay positive, the oncologists have to be pragmatic and make us aware of all possible risks. 

I see a few ladies are struggling coming to the end of treatment. It is a bit weird coming to the end or being shunted on to the next department, you just have to look at the threads coming after us to realise how many women are on this conveyor belt. There are a couple of books out there about life after cancer if you think that might help.

Re meeting up, did we come up with a date this side of Christmas? 

Absolutely Annie.

i don’t seem to have been too bad with the Zometa. My Oncologist told me to take Vitamin D every day for 3 years and then every October to April. I have also increased my calcium intake. She didn’t talk about percentages. Fortunately my teeth are not too bad. I just feel st the moment I want everything thrown at the cancer.

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Dikat 😁😁👍👍👍😁😁😘😘😘😘💃🏻💃🏻🕺🕺💃🏻💃🏻💃🏻Wonderful news 💪💪💪💪💪amazing beautiful ❤️❤️ So happy 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

stuck at 14

I believe that the surgeons being positive is a good sign.  I think oncologists are more concerned with the drugs and chemo.  They gave me a dip too at one point but then the surgeon took all that away and really lifted my spirits.  The surgeon actually sees more I think.  So place your trust in the surgery that you will have.  July is only a few weeks away and with chemo and radiotherapy behind you I believe that the surgery will really give you a boost. 

Everyone has these thoughts but people are here for you.  so put it down to the miserable weather we are having and look forward to the surgery if you can.

Drummerswidow 

You are far stronger than me.  I know what you mean.  I thought too that I was being passed around but realised it is just the way they operate.  They are key targets that the hospital has to meet.  I know my surgery was brought forward as it had to be done within a certain time after finishing chemo.  I too was miffed as when I was waiting for my taxi home my surgeon was leaving the hospital.  He came to me and said I will see you in a few weeks. (2 after my op).  When I went to this post op there had been some sort of emergency and he was late. I was seen by his assistant who did the sentinel node biopsy but I didnt mind as this man was just as kind as the lead consultant. I think all hospitals take each patient up to a stage and then pass us on. 

Similarly at my last oncology appointment before surgery I saw my consultant oncologist's assistant and was surprised last week to see the consultant oncologist.  I noticed that there was only a few in the waiting room who appeared to be new patients waiting.  Although the other doctor was there I didn't see her this time around and I am convinced it depends on how many patients have to be seen.  

How are you finding the Zometa - I am concerned because my teeth are not good.  One to be extracted and all wisdom teeth loose which I refuse to have taken out.  Then I have osteopenia and had an awful experience with Aledronic Acid in the past.  Oncologist told me there is a risk of fracture to my thigh/hip which I would not want.  i may still go for the Zometa as like you I would be having it every 6 months for 3 years. I was told that it reduced the risk by 2% and I thought that this was low compared to 7% for letrozole and 8% after chemo.  I am not really sure what the percentages are about but I thought 2 % was quite low. 

Hello ladies. Just popping in to say hi. 

Dikat so pleased re your post today and the good news - sorry to hear you’ve been feeling low and had so much to deal with over the weekend. 

Caught up on recent posts and glad to hear drummerswidow you’ve finished your rads, and hope that Prosecco went down well and tasted like a victory as you get over another hurdle of treatment. 

Best wishes all, thinking of you 

KC72 x

Hi absolutelyannie, 

Just wanted to say I understand what you mean about leaving the surgeon and breast care nurses, even though I havent seen mine since December, I cant wait to see them at the start of July to discuss the next part of my treatment- preventative surgery. 

I have found the chemo and rads to be much much harder, than the surgery and also found the oncologists to be less optimistic about my situation that the surgeons were. 

I will finish rads on  Tuesday but have never felt so low about the future and I definitely feel like the cancer coming back is a when not if, even though this isnt what the  doctors have told me, the oncologist seemed very concerned about my 9 affected nodes, add thisbtobmy ongoing cough and ct scan to investigate I just feel like it's not going to be over for me at all. 

Sorry to be doom and gloom when we should all be celebrating but I think most of you understand. 

Dikat

what wonderful news! It’s nice to know that b awful chemo has done the trick. Though it’s a shame you were so unwell with it.

onwards and upwards for the Radiotherapy xxx

Absolutely Annie.

I am having Zometa and had it with my chemo. I’ve now got to have it six monthly for 3 years. I know there are side effects but if it prevents/reduces my cancer going into my bones, I decided to go with it.

It’s an emotional rollercoaster. I was a bit miffed when I saw the surgeons on Monday and it wasn’t the Consultant who had done my surgery. I feel a bit numb at the moment. I think it’s because we have had so many hospital visits and contacts.  You’re doing really well and are strong xxxx

Jayne1966

Yes I got the good news 29th May but have been bawling my eyes out since!!! Maybe I have been in denial I dont know but I do know I felt  a great loss leaving the surgeon's room as he was so kind to me.  I felt like I have lost some really good friends.  it would be great to keep in contact with some of them but that is not allowed.  Doctor/patient boundaries and all that. 

Dikat 

Yes I have a Macmillan counselor for support.  Yes I did have my sister for the important consultations so I wasn't totally alone but I feel it now.  As somebody here said once you have had surgery everyone thinks you are better.  I feel that I was so busy going to hospital appointments that I did not think about what I had or perhaps I was in denial.  

I have to have a tooth pulled before I can start the Zometa and would you believe after all this crap, I am more scared of that!!

Good luck with the radiotherapy - I have my planning meeting next wednesday so am surprised you have to wait 4 weeks.  

Dikat, that's awesome news. 

Absolutely Annie, Iust have missed your news post but brilliant to hear you had the same. I envy your emotion at the news. I sill have none at all, however I feel very excited as the news comes in for everyone else. 

How far did we get on the meet up plans. I saw something about a WhatsApp group possibly? More excited than ever to meet up with all you amazing and strong ladies and I am humbled to be part of this incredible group xx

Hi absolutelyannie 

It’s lovely to hear that you had such a kind, caring and compassionate breast care team. I’ve been lucky too when I read experiences that others have had. I’m sure it does feel like there is a void in your life right now, especially if you don’t have the support of a partner/family & friends. Have you looked any further into Macmillan support? 

I suppose you have to weigh up the pros and cons with the Zometa and choose what’s right for you. It does feel weird for me going to the chemo suite every 3 weeks but you get used to it. Take care xx

Dikat 

Well done - on the same path as I am.  I got very emotional after my surgeon discharged me.  I made it home but the floodgates opened.  I still am reduced to tears when I remember the kindness shown to me by the surgeon and some of his team.  I look on them as friends for life.  

Every time I think of them though the tears come streaming.  I think because I was on my own they went out of their way with kindness towards me.  

One of the nurses said to me I bet you will be glad to get finished here but I felt they were better than some of my friends and family. 

I am being offered Zometa every 6 months for 3 years but the side effects scare me.  I have problems with my teeth but there are others.  My oncologist gave me a magic 2% number which I assume is the reduction of recurrence rate. I am seriously thinking of saying no to this as I dont ever want to see the chemo room again. 

G

That is just fabulous DiKat, will raise a glass to you 🥂!! G x 

Hi everyone 

Just back from appointment with my breast surgeon re surgery results. So grateful and thankful that everything is positive.

The lump that was taken showed clear margins and that the chemo had resulted in an excellent response. She said that the tissue had a couple of tiny spots in it and some DCIS (apparently chemo isn’t effective on this) but overall almost a complete regression. She had taken 5 lymph nodes, 4 were clear and 1 was scarred meaning there had been cancer but again the chemo had done it’s job. I know you all know I had such a crap time with chemo (particularly FEC) but right now I’m so thankful for the horrible stuff!!!

I don’t need to have RT on my armpit but will still be having it on my breast in approximately 4 weeks, not sure of date as yet. BCS says it’s just belt and braces stuff that goes with a lumpectomy. She was so reassuring and said although she didn’t need to see me for a year now, to get in touch with the unit if I had any concerns. It felt weird because didn’t realise she would be discharging me from her care at this point. On reflection I hope she didn’t think I was being ungrateful as I wasn’t bouncing up and down like I thought I would have been, just felt and still do feel a bit dazed really.

In addition to radiotherapy I will still be having 3 wkly intravenous Herceptin/Pertuzumab for approx next 9 months so haven’t been cut loose from Oncology just yet, thankfully 😅 

Thank you all for your continuing support amazing ladies 💕💕💕🤗🤗🤗

Drummerswidow

Well done - lucky girl

Hi G

You we’re awake early. Hope you’re ok and not suffering with se’s.

Thanks for your kind, wise words. I really appreciate having the support of you lovely ladies ❤️

The weather is awful here, really heavy rain. On a positive note, should have lush green grass 😊

Have a good day all 💕🤗

G

Fantastic news Drummerswidow, you did what you had to do and you did it in style 👏🏻  🥰 

Hey DiKat I have no real words to make anything better here as so much is out of your control and just horrible and so upsetting, big hug.  How you feel about you is a bit more in your remit but not as much as it should as cancer is very much still in pole position here (if how I feel is anything to go by) with the physical changes we have endured, the emotion and hormonal impact we are bound up in going forward.  Some of this will get a bit worse before the curve goes up, some will be starting to improve albeit slowly and bumpily. All I know for sure is the women in this ickle group will get there however you need as much love and support going forward (if not more in some ways) as you did upon initial diagnosis and you need to be kind to you, you and your body have achieved so much so far ❤️

G

LB2

Congratulations Drummerswidow, hope you enjoyed the prosecco, sorry you have had to struggle through all this on your own. Sunnydaze sorry to hear you are struggling on rads, hope it settles down. If it gets bad ask to see the nurse early, I think you usually see her towards the end of treatment. DiKat hope you have a good week, sound like you had a tough weekend, as you say onwards and upwards.

Marlyn, I am also on Anastrozole, just coming up to 4 weeks and so far so good.

Have a good evening, x

Hi maryKamille

Good that you only have 3 rads to go and they are hurrying you through.

I’m sure you will love LGFB and great that you have a holiday booked for July. 

I think another reason I was grumpy this weekend was because I should have been in Bordeaux on a girly weekend for the start of my 50th Birthday celebrations!

I love your philosophy about switching to a positive thought before getting out of bed, gonna give that a try 😊

Yes it is great news about Jayne 😁

Xx

Hi DiKat

Shame about that huge post. I have managed to lose a few - don't know how - but not marked as spam, as far as I know. Maybe you just pressed the wrong key?

Had my 12th Rad today and only 3 more to go. They seem to be hurrying me through now, which certainly helps with the shoulder. I will get physio though to avoid any future problems. I can take paracetamol AND Ibuprofen before the Rad sessions, so the doctor told me, as they approach pain relief in different ways. So I double up.

Everytime there's a problem we all seem to get to a solution somehow, sooner or later. We're all still here on the forum. I have found it so comforting to know that I am not alone in all the peculiar individual responses we sometimes have, that our SEs are not unique, and tips and ideas shared by us all make such a difference. The forum has given me a real sense of solace.  

It is all ups and downs, but I guess that's the nature of the disease. I am going to a Look Good Feel Better workshop just after Rads finish, and we've booked a holiday in July. I think its good to set up 'treats' to mark each time we get through a course of treatment, if you can. It's something to focus on.

When I wake up in the morning I try to switch from my immediate worry - what I have to do today at the hospital (daily Rads) - and ask myself what I'm looking forward to, and I won't get out of bed until I have thought about something good.

Drummerswidow - I don't think I would have made it on my own. I am so lucky to have my husband and I think you are so strong. I really admire you, as many others on here do.

Hope we are all beginning to see through to the end of treatments and get that 'all clear' which Jayne  did and must believe in! Hope you see my separate post, Jayne. xx