61192members
322653posts
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Re: w, Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Hi KC72 

I am going on to hormone therapy. I am not down for radiotherapy, but seemy onc on 10th May.  She previously told me because I had a mastectomy, rads weren’t needed. I luckily only had 1 node with a micromet, but some of my 4.3cm tumour was grade 3 as well as additional DCIS, but apparently they don’t count DCIS with regard to tumour size .  I would be interested to know what reason they gave you KC72 for not having rads. I feel a bit uneasy about it, but hopefully onc will sort it for me.

I also went on Tamoxifen before surgery for about 3 months and to be honest I got along fine with it, a few hot sweats, joints were ok, supplements definitely helped and a good diet and exercise. I was so worried before starting because you hear about all of the terrible times some ladies have on it. I do not know yet whether I will go back on Tam, it depends on my menopausal status after chemo. I was hormone positive bc.

Good luck with your last chemo tomorrow. Yeahhh😊😊😊😊It’s a good feeling to finish, I’m still struggling with the se’s , only a week in so still joint pains, not much taste and really fatigued, but the good news is, it will pass soon 😊😊😊✊

Good luck for tomorrow xx

Dikat fab news re shrinkage and on decision on lumpectomy. Keeping everything crossed for your surgery. Do stay in touch. 

Jayne1966 so pleased you’ve had last one and you had a wine to celebrate🍾🥂. Hope the hip hurting subsides, I suffer that too so literally feel your pain. 

Last chemo for me tomorrow, then moving on to hormone therapy. Think they’ll start me off on tamoxifen as I’m pre menopause. Anyone else moving on to hormone therapy? 

Will stay on this thread as be nice to hear how things working out for you all. 

KC72 xx

Jayne,

i love that! I'm getting a tattoo next year and have been having a gander.....xxx

Screenshot_20190424_143756_com.google.android.googlequicksearchbox.jpg

Been looking at tattoos as I've seen this one. Think I may get it on the side of my hand or inside wrist. 

Love to all for these amazing and uplifting comments. To many to give individual shout outs. Counting down everytime I take a pill for the last time, with a smile. Side effects seem to be starting early this time with hips hurting and taste going south already. Onwards and upwards though. Also be great if as many as poss can stay on the chat. Feel like we are on a journey together now xx

Thank you Sunnydaze and yes you’re right, I do feel like I’ve had excellent care. I hear a lot of criticism about my local hospital but the breast unit and oncology department have been fab 😁

I hope you start to feel a little more energetic soon. The tiredness definitely hits with this last one. I’m aiming for 7000 steps a day this week which I know doesn’t sound that ambitious but it is when you’re knackered all the time. 

Keep smiling 💕🤗

Dikat, that is amazing news! You have responded to chemo so well. I think you have had excellent care, by the sounds of it. Day surgery sounds like a walk in the park after what you have been through. I am so pleased for you.😊😊😊👍👍👍

Great to hear that you’ve also had your last chemo  LB2. I  had mine a week ago too and it has been quite tough. Very fatigued, but hey ho, it’s the last one!😊 

Jayne, long may you remain on a high👍👍 way to go. My hospital doesn’t have a bell either, I think that’s pants. I know it can be blooming tough for people who may not get a chance to ring the bell😢😢😢, but I think it’s genuinely good to share each other’s good news, even if things are not so good, happiness for others lifts the spirit. Surely, that’s a positive thing. Joy should not be a crumb. 

Anyway, we’re finished that’s the main thing. Good for you for having a drink. Since having chemo I have been unable to tolerate any alcohol, the thought of it makes me feel sick, but hopefully that won’t be forever🤞🤞

Sunnydaze 😘

Thanks LB2

They certainly are getting you moving with the rads. That’s a good thing though, will be all over and done with before you know it! 

I understand your perky boob will stay perky😂 doesn’t the radiotherapy freeze it in time so to speak! Will be great to stay in touch on here and see how we are all doing with the next part of our journeys 💕

LB2

DiKat that is great news re your lump - amazing that they can't feel it anymore. Just goes to show that chemo is powerful stuff and hopefully had a similar effect on all of us. The lumpectomy will be much less invasive for you. Since there is no dressing you will see all the scars and bruising, which is a bit confronting - I looked like I had been attacked by a shark for the first week or so but am happy with the result. Smaller and perkier than the other side but wearing a bra you don't notice.

I had last chemo last week then straight into rads planning the day after. Talk about being shunted on to the next department! Don't start until mid May so not sure why the rush.

Daffydilly - interested in what you were told re time to start Anastrozole, I was told to start at the same time as rads so about a month after last chemo - is that what others were told?

Shame to see a few ladies will be leaving the group, I think I will still check in from time to time if only to check on details of the September meet-up!

Take care all, x 

Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Good luck ladies with hopefully your last lot of side effects  from your last chemo those going on for rads or surgery big hugs and thank you for your continued support for those of you who pop into February thread xxxxxx 

Hi Jayne

Glad you enjoyed celebrating and you’re feeling on such a high. It’s a massive achievement and I think you’ve done so well with all the difficulties you’ve had along the way 💕

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

I saw the surgeon yesterday. I will be having my surgery on either the 9th or 16th May depending on how quickly my immune system/bloods recover from the last cycle of chemo I had. On examination, surgeon said she couldn’t feel my lump. Yay 😁 I’m going to have a lumpectomy and she said she intends to take 4 lymph nodes. Radiotherapy will follow approx 8 weeks later. The surgery should be a day case, no drain and scarring should be minimal as she will cut around the outside of my nipple. She felt in my case that there was absolutely no need for a mastectomy as this route was just as effective according to clinical trials/research etc. We discussed why I thought I might like a mastectomy and it all came down to my anxieties about self examination, feeling lumps in either breast and fear of recurrence. She reassured me saying that if I have any anxieties I can directly contact the unit and come and get checked out. She said a good rule with any worries, pain, discomfort anywhere in my body is give it 4 weeks and if it hasn’t gone get it checked out. I have come to my decision because I feel at this stage, due to what my body has been through with the chemo I don’t want to put my body through more surgery than I need to and I know I need to work on my mental state re fears of the future. Realistically I know if I did have a mastectomy I would still worry about secondary’s elsewhere etc. And obviously I can’t have every organ in my body removed. I’m relieved I have come to a decision and understand that we’re all different as our cancers are all different so we have to do what we feel right along with the guidance of the experts. I’m just so grateful that my body has responded so well to the chemo.

Have a lovely day everyone 💕🤗

No bell at my hospital as they think it's cruel to those that will never ring it. But have been out for a curry tonight and had such a goid time. I'm on such a high. I know the SEs will kick in soon but it's the last tine and I'm not sure I care. Let them come, and go. And good riddance. If course that may be the wine talking. Xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi, the bell ringing at the end of chemo and at the end of rads is to 🛎🛎🛎you’ve finished current treatment as I always understood it. It’s a personal choice and I know in our unit when the 🛎🛎🛎🛎🛎everyone clapped and celebrated with them too, you do what feels right for you as with all of this 💩 everyone has their own journey and always has ❤️👭❤️On here always 😘😘💕💕✨✨Shi xx

Stuckat14

Your eyebrows look fab and you look beautiful xx

You look lovely Stuck at 14. Way to go.👍💕 In fact you have just inspired me and I’m not really much of a make up person, to get myself finally booked on a looking good feeling good course at Maggies in Edinburgh. I really feel the need now that my treatment has just about come to an end🤞. I need and want to go out and brave  the world again. Hopefully, I will be getting out and about much more this summer, so I need a wee bit of “help” to feel more confident . Your brows really do look great, v natural.

Drummerswidow sorry to hear that you will be disappearing from this thread, I hope you stay around, but thanks for the support and help along the way, to get us all over the finish line.

Good luck Drummerswidow and Jayne for your last treatment today🔔🔔🔔✊😍 you have Done AMAZING I hope the se’s are kind to you. At least you will be safe in the knowledge that they’re the last ones!!! Hurray

Sunnydaze xxx

Ha ha thanks- I've a few fair hairs- but I'd say 20% of what I did have- just remembered when I took this pic I did also draw over with a really sharp darker eyelure pencil too- a bit of a 3d look. I love make up :-)

Stuck at 14,

just dropping in from feb starters to say....wowsers!! Your eyebrows look great...is it all pencil? Xx

Best wishes to those having last treatments. I wondered what everyone thought about 'ringing the bell's? I've been emotional when I saw a lady do it but my husband pointed out that quite a few ladies there wont finish having treatment. I'm not sure. 

Eyebrows- I got the 'lookgoodfeelbetter'eyebrow pencil on the course (which was brill) and wondered if you can buy that online- it's really really good  works by getting darker the harder you press down and the brush is so soft it makes a really natural result!15560292135068671027416879506239.jpg

Hers me looking very bald tired but I think my eyebrows are pretty good!

w, Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Drummers widow,

Our last day today. Sat having mine as you will be now. It feels good to know that this will be the last set of side effects to go through. All the best for the future. Be nice if you can pop back on and let us know how you are doing from time to time.

All the best for a long happy and healthy future xxx

Thanks for that daisydi 💕

Drummerswidow

Good luck for today and hope you have minimal side effects. Best of luck too for rads and your journey after.

Thanks for all your posts along the way - this forum and our thread has really helped me knowing what’s ‘normal’ and not!! through our chemo and been a real cheery support, especially on those wobbly days.

Thank you and good luck for the future. 

KC72 x

Highlighted

Hi just popped over from Feb thread. Dikat a friend of mine went through bc last year and she came to see me over the weekend and she had some Benefit Gimme brow volumising gel and pencil which she tried on my brows which are very sparse now and it looked quite natural so Ive ordered a mini one from Amazon to see how I get on.  I never put brows on so I am not good at this kind of stuff but think it will be easy to do.  They do all different shades too. Hope that helps x

Good luck with your last chemo Drummerswidow. Hope it all goes well and that any side effects are over quickly. Good that you have already got a start date for your rads, hope they go well for you and if you want to, would love to hear how you get on. Take care and thank you for your contributions and support throughout chemo 💕xx

Thanks for that kc72. I have been using benefit ka brows which is fine when I’m wearing my wig but if I go without I don’t like how much my eyebrows stand out so wanted something a little more natural looking. Don’t want to look like a drag act 😂

Morning All.

Well 10am will be my final chemo. As with you all, it’s been a long haul and I’m pleased to get to the end of this part of the treatment. Hopefully the side effects won’t be too prolonged. 

I start Radiotherapy next month and also should commence Letrazole as well. This will probably be my last post on this thread as I move forward towards the next stage of treatment.  I wish you all well with your decisions for your possible future surgery and treatment options, and hope that we can all move forward after cancer changing and shaping our lives. 

Enjoy your meet up in Edinburgh later in the year.  I wish you well. xx

Shi Community Champion
Community Champion

Hi I’ve known someone who had great results with the fast shampoo and conditioner, she didn’t use till after chemo and rads all completed. Lush new shampoo red dot and Jamaican black castor oil rubbed into bonce first before the shampoo bar has given good results too, again used once all hemp and rads finished 💕💕✨✨Shi xx

No worries ladies about wig moans - I understand how at times they can be too hot, itchy, or irritating etc. Because I’ve not lost my hair during chemo, it makes me feel a chemo fraud - how weird is that. And it does confuse the hell out of people as they don’t understand how I haven’t lost my ‘hair’!

re products I used to use benefit brow zing for years along with benefit’s she laq (now discontinued). Think loads of other ladies recommend benefit. At mo I’m using a similar product from L’Oréal, with a lacquer (Mehron fixative - you can get it on Amazon). If you have lost all your eyebrow hair the fixative is useful so the wax or pencil you use doesn’t rub away or disappear as the day wears on. Little light feathery moves are best to apply either wax or pencil and build it up to make it look natural as possible. 

KC72 xx

Hi KC72 

Thank you for these tips, they’re great. I am so sorry to hear you have had to deal with alopecia  for the past 25 years, that can’t have been easy -  and thank you for being so tolerant about my wig moans !

Sunnydazexx

Thanks for your support re hair loss KC72. If I’ve complained about wearing a wig in any of my posts, I apologise. It doesn’t compare to you having done so for the past 25 years. What products do you use for eyebrows? 💕xx

Wow Jayne

You’ve done really well with your steps today. Thought I’d done well on 7k. 

I’m guessing it’s the heat that’s made your hands swell. Is it final chemo tomorrow? Xx

Hi Jayne1966.

Wow, so many steps ⭐️  I have got puffy hands at mo - wedding ring cutting into finger but not on steroids.

re hair shampoos: I’ve had total alopecia past 25 years and worn a wig since I’ve been 21. At beginning I was desperate to try anything for my hair to come back. I appreciate it’s a very long time ago and formulas and science has come on but it’s the washing action that massages the head, that gets blood flow and stimulates the hair follicles. So helps to wash your head every day even if no hair, or get an other half to give you a daily head massage! 😉

Really thinking of you ladies and your hair woes. I know how distressing it is and keeping my fingers and toes crossed that it returns quickly. 

KC72 xx

I've done just over 12000 steps now but I think I've over done it. Body says no so I'm having an iced drink in Costa packet. 

My hands have swollen up and I've had to take my rings off. Probably just the heat. Has anyone else had this? I took 8 steroids today but not had a reaction to those before so assume it's not them. 

I'm visiting friends just north Edinburgh on 14th 15th Sept so that weekend or around then would be perfect for me if it suits others. 

Has anyone tried or heard opinions on the 'fast' brand shampoo and conditioner?? I've seen it on live well with cancer website but it's expensive so don't want to buy unless have good reports.

Am making the most of not having chemo today because its a Bank Holiday. Put walking (well resting in a pub with an oj and lemonaide at the min)  Such a lovely dayScreenshot_20190422_140016_com.garmin.android.apps.connectmobile.jpg

Hey Stuck at 14! So lovely to hear from you. Glad you’re coping. 👍 I am on day 6 of my last T, so just one cycle ahead of you. I was rubbish yesterday, but picked up a bit today and have spent most of my morning pottering in the garden with my light weight breathable baseball cap and sun shades on.😎 I have found the hot  sweats and temperaturecontrol really difficult on T, so the cap has been great in this heat. I can’t do with my wig! It does my head in🤣 even though it’s a good one.

Ha Ha, the meet up  idea is great, but I am also happy to meet somewhere more central or I can get to London too, if that is easier,  but if you ladies fancy a weekend in Edinburgh, that’s ok too. I think Pastamissus and Mamajuju from January thread live within striking distance of Ed too. Shall we look at finding a date once August and the hols are over and see where everyone lives and then decide? 😊 Enjoy the sunshine. Spring is so gorgeous. Sunnydaze xx

Link for color wow

This is the colour I ordered stuckat14. I don’t think the 20% off is on any more so might be best to google and look at shopping results.  

Hope you’re feeling better soon x

Hi all, I'm day 5 after chemo 5, 2nd docetaxol. I've felt a bit more sick, a lot more tired and had similar pain and mouth issues this time. Reading this thread makes me think I am lucky to not have to deal with the perception stuff, but I have no idea what my hormone therapy will involve once chemo ends. I will have oestrogen blockers until I have my brca2 surgery and it carries on after that too. So rubbish. 

Dikat  your hair looks ace- would you be able to share a link? I've got a lot of long white whispy hairs and a lot of very shirt dark course dark hairs- it isn't a good look at the mo! 

Hugs to everyone, I'll be watching the Edinburgh meet up plans and hopefully get involved :-)

Lovely to hear you have had a normal weekend and done something you enjoy Jayne 💕 The weather has been fab for it. I had a lovely day yesterday sat outside in my big floppy hat xx

Woopeee September it is then👍👍👍🤣 Your weekend sounds fab Jayne, something normal. Great weather. It’s great getting away in the caravan. Can’t beat it! X

September in edinburgh then. Big meet up when we all feel better. I'm in North Worcestershire.

Ive ordered the 5:2 diet book and will go on for some wow now. Been away in Shrewsbury at a motor racing event in our caravan. Just one night but it was gorgeous to get away. Sat in the shade all day watching the cars and catching up with lots of people I haven't seen in 6 months whilst my other half went car mad. Back home now and completely knackered but feel like I have actually done something normal. 

Oh that sounds so hard Daffydilly. Chemo is  so tough tough tough and then they push us on to rads and hormone tablets, like a conveyor belt,  all with dreadful side effects.  Our poor little bodies haven’t had time to recover.  The NHS staff are brilliant, but honestly until you’ve been through it, no one  truly understands. We are the true warriors. We know what it’s really like ....It’s easy to dispense medicine, it’s not as easy to take it..,..

Anyway, my Easter moan might bring a smile to your faces ladies. I know we are so sick of not having head hair, but I want to shout out out for good old pubic hair 😆😆😆. Who would have guessed that those annoying little hairs help to channel your pee.🤣🤣 I am sick of peeing everywhere instead of the pot!!! It’s like peeing on a toilet seat with cling film on sometimes!  I cannot wait for mine to grow back!

Yes, I would love that Dikat. If you are ever in Edinburgh let me know.😊It would be great to meet up, that goes for any of you ladies, it would be

sooo good. Mind you, if you do ever come up avoid August when the festival is on, it’s gone absolutely mental over the past few years and you can’t move for people. The City is beautiful, but August is not the best time.

Sunnydazex

Sorry you’re not happy at the minute daffydilly.  I know it can take a long time for chemo side effects to completely resolve but shame things aren’t better than this after 6 weeks. I really thought the taste thing would have improved by now. I understand why you have reservations about moving onto a new drug when you still have this all going on! Hope things improve for you soon xx

Sorry so many people are struggling at the moment - hope you all feel better soon and can enjoy the weather before the rain returns!

I think it’s 6 weeks now since last chemo. Tastebuds still not great, lots of aching joints, swollen ankles and palpitations. I should have started anastrozole last week but put it off til tomorrow. Dread any further side effects before chemo ones have subsided and start radiotherapy on Wednesday - I won’t know what is causing what. Not looking forward to next few weeks.

Also wigs are proving very hot in this weather. Have been trying hats and scarves around the house, but not braved it outside yet.

Not a happy bunny at the moment😩😩

Sunnydaze

Sorry you are feeling like 💩 Hopefully you will turn the corner in a few more days. It was Yesterday, day 11 for me, but taste is still awful. Tried a bit of chocolate, yuk! Tried a glass of Prosecco, yuk...still managed to force it down somehow though! I’ve never been to Edinburgh but desperately want to go. If I manage it at some point in the near future will let you know, maybe could arrange to meet for a cuppa.

Kitkat18

This surgery stuff is giving me headache! I’m gonna just see what the surgeon says my options are. It’s a female so will ask what she would do in my situation. In the Liz O Riordan book it says it’s ok to ask this. Will keep you posted.

Love to all 💕

Staffs, Lincs, Scotland. Anywhere else? We really are spread all over the country. Such a shame we can’t all just meet up for a cuppa and a chin wag. I’m in Scotland. Scottish Borders. 25 miles south of Edinburgh. 

Xx

Thanks for that, I read that book when first diagnosed so will dig that out too. I am in Staffordshire, whereabouts are you?  Hoping you feel better soon, agree about the chocolate I can taste it but it’s waaaay too sweet to touch at the moment. Won’t it be great when everything tastes normal again?! Not long now👍🏻👏😛xx

Hey Kitkat,

Good luck with the surgery decisions. I found the Liz O’Riordan book ( the breast surgeon who also had bc) quite useful. It had a couple of good chapters in it about surgery options. Probably not worth buying at this late stage, but your local library may have it. I got it out of the library when first diagnosed and found it quite useful. What part of the country do you live in Kitkat? I was just wondering.

Happy Easter 🐣  lovely ladies. No fear of me eating too much choccie , I can’t taste it 🤣🤣🤣🤣 Day5 after T and feeling like a pile of 💩 

😘😘😘😘 Sunnydaze xx

Happy Easter everyone. Thank you Kc72, Sunnydaze  and Shi for your replies, i’m seeing the surgeon this week so going into research mode. Looking good Dikat as always, thanks for the reminder I’ve got a blonde wow somewhere so will dig it out for when I’ve got more hair to put it on!

Just thought Marlyn, think this new protocol might have only related to people having chemo before surgery. It may not apply with your gremlin being long gone and good riddance too it. Also could be to do with me having multiple lymph’s affected. Excuse the permanent confused chemo state 🤪 xxx

I didn’t realise you were her2pos Marlyn. It’s strange how we all have different treatment regimes. Might be worth you asking about the new Pertuzumab protocol thing. I’m not sure if it’s just something locally or across all trusts. Don’t quote me on this, need to check but think the oncologist said it slightly improves the effectiveness of the Herceptin. Xxx