Re: Anyone starting Chemo in December 2018?

Hi maryKamille

Glad you have the tooth issue sorted and hope you get your next chemo as rescheduled. It's a pain when you lose weight when you don't need to. I hate looking scrawny! I did manage to put another couple of pound back on in my delayed week last time but would like another half stone back on. I managed to eat well yesterday but feeling a bit more nauseous today so that doesn't help. I get weighed each time I go for blood and see consultant but think that's mainly cos I lost so much for me. I am monitoring myself too so not dwelling on the healthy eating so much whilst having chemo, need the calories so will tackle that later.

Hi there,

Thanks for telling me about the Manuka. I might get some - tried it out a couple of years ago (because apparently it's also good if, like me, you have a nervous stomach soon. For the time being, I just grab the honey we have at home and ad it to my morning cereal or take a teaspoon on its own. It's soothing to the mouth/throat and probably the soul, too.

xxx

Rapunzel

DiKat, I am on the same steiroids too 3times a day. When I cocked up the times one day I only took 2 so I could sleep as was not feeling sick and that is what they are for. I seem to wake for a wee early am so try to take my first one then. Done now for this second cycle. Worst side effect at the moment apart from tiredness is the awful taste in my mouth. Actually done some paperwork today and booked a massage for next week!

Hi everyone

Steroids seem to be the topic of the moment. I was told that steroids are in the chemo mix/drip so you get them straightaway each time. I also had doses of Dexamethasone (2mg) to take 3 times daily for 3 days but told to finish them by 4pm or 'teatime' as I would never sleep at night! Had other anti-nausea pills to take as well. 4 days of various doses.

Had my tooth extracted on Wednesday - for those who have been following that saga of mine. OK so far. See Oncologist on 16th of this month and expect to have my (postponed) next chemo on following Monday. What with dental problems, lack of appetite, not eating much and the long gap, I am wary of what will happen next time. Best not to dwell on it.

I have lost about 3 kg in a month. But it seems steady now. I wasn't overweight to begin with, so hope to maintain that level. Are others monitoring weight loss?

Thank you Dikat, I'm ok, but still lack stamina sometimes. I've been on a course this morning, so worn out my little brain cells!

Hope the injections help with the neutropenia, 10 seems an awful lot x

Your message made me laugh! I was definitely like that last  year and not much better now! I'm sending you a pm

I wonder if you could have two at breakfast and one at lunch. They also give me the glow and hot flushes😕

Hi Kitkat

Yes same steroid and strength but 3 doses so hard to get them in early. At least it's only 3 days and with me being such a lightweight on meds feel like I need to take them after food. I get a lovely facial flush from them. Thanks for the info re antihistamine, will look into that x

Hi Dikat, which steroid are you on - I take dexamethasone 2mg 2 twice a day - but was told firmly to take first dose at 8am and the second before 2pm (even though instructions say space evenly through the day) or I wouldn’t sleep at night. Perhaps ask your helpline whether you can change timings. 

i am fortunate that I don’t get the bone pain with filgrastim although they do make me feel very jittery and everything seems to fizz but a lot of people take the antihistamine loratadine which seems to help. X

DiKat. Hope you feel better today. Sounds as if you are going through it with your chemo.
Highlighted

Drummerswidow

Yes I agree with Jencat, feel like a lie down after a shopping centre at the best of times so you did well. Are you having Taxol on it's own or with anything else. My next stage will be surgery. I've kind of been burying my head about which way to go. Breast consultant initially said lumpectomy and I also have multiple lymph nodes affected. She says she's happy to do mastectomy if that's what I want but there's no guarantees it won't come back elsewhere in my body. I know it's a decision only I can make but do you or anyone know of a good reputable site where I can get info to make a well informed decision on the best possible odds. Thank you xx

Hi Jenkat. I only went to 3 shops and stopped for a coffee lol 

Jencat hope you're coping and feeling ok.

So day 3 after 2nd fec today. Managed to get out of bed about 6pm yesterday as dizziness had started to subside. Ate pretty well throughout the day too. Hardly slept a wink last night, steroids I guess. Does everyone else have 3 a day for 3 days after chemo day. Mine say take after meals and don't have tea til 6ish so last one ends up being quite late. Had banging head at half 3 this morning so had to take some paracetamol. Not keen on doing this due to bashing liver gets from chemo. My throat doesn't feel as harsh today. The biotene toothpaste and mouthwash seemed to help although I did freak a bit when I saw that the mouthwash contains 2 types of parabens, cant win! I also took my first teaspoon of life mel honey last night and swished it round in my mouth. It felt like that provided some relief in my throat and gullet too. So the first of 10 filgrastim injections today, not keen on the pelvis, top of leg pain and headaches the 5 from cycle 1 provided me with last time but here's hoping they keep the dreaded neutropenia at bay this time 🤞

Wishing everyone a good day xx

Drummerswidow, I think you must live in my area as you went to Bluewater-it's my nearest shopping centre. I'm worn out going there without having chemo as well! x

Hi DiKat. I’m okay thanks. Managed to get to Bluewater shopping Centre early today but had to have a lie down this afternoon to get over it! 

Bloods and PICC dressing change tomorrow in readiness for chemo on Monday if all okay. I have one more EC after that then 4 cycles of Taxol. Got 4 weeks Radiotherapy after that. It seems relentless. Never mind it’ll fly by! 

Hi Drummerswidow 

One more fec then move on to 3 cycles of Taxotere/Herceptin/Pertuzumab. I've been trying to avoid reading about these but keep stumbling on things that say they're worse. Yikes!

Cant believe I've already started with throat problems again this cycle and it's only day 2. My voice has nearly gone and I'm being really careful, cleaning teeth regularly with soft tooth brush, using mouthwash and drinking properly. I'm never sure if it's coming from my throat and or up through my gullet from my stomach. Have long standing bowel and digestive issues so this is a weak area for me. I already take esomeprazole 20mg twice daily and asked Oncologist on Monday if I could increase whilst on chemo and he said no as would cause issues with constipation!

How are you doing? Xx

Hi DiKat. Sorry you’re suffering with your second FEC. You can have some of my weight if you like. I’ll send it up to you lol. How many more cycles of FEC have you got to go?

Hi Pastamissus. I didn’t mean to imply that Manuka honey will help boost neutrophils as I know it doesn’t but it can help with some symptoms ie soothing sore throats.

Thank you DiKat. Darker colours can also make the volume of hair look over the top, too. The woman who fitted my wig cut off some bits (she was a hairdresser before) and I think that helped as I have a small head. Other ones I tried on just looked ridiculous!
As you get older they say always go lighter not darker - agree, it can be harsh if the colour is wrong.
You sound amazingly grounded - well done you! XX

pastamissus

Meant to say in my earlier post, hope all goes well with your 2nd fed today x