Re: Anyone due to start chemo April 14??

Hello Ladies,

Yep your right Rosie I will be working up until 5pm on Christmas Eve, it has been a complete nightmare this week soooo busy IT problems with Docman again meant a backlog of approx 600 documents arrived all at once mainly from UCH and checking if they were duplicates or not before workflowing to the GP's was so time consuming plus worrying as a few went back to Feb, unbelivable! I had nobody to help as other staff were off on leave and also felt pressured to help with a couple of audits. The docman workflow is not really even my job but I feel responsible and have not had the time to train other staff sufficiently.

Rosie glad the journey was straight forward and I hope you enjoyed your pasty, yum. Our Christmas party at work has been postponed because not enough staff could attend. I had a couple of nice surprises today though firstly my manager phoned to say she had two tickets for a candlelit carol service at the Barbican Hall on Sunday afternoon if I would like them, then sent a driver with them for me. The next nice surprise was an unexpected parcel arrived for me which turned out to be a hamper which was lovely from the company which sent out patient appointment text reminders and any other messages we might like to send, they thanked me for helping to resolve some problems that they have recently encountered.

Lovewine the eye surgery is no less than miraculous when we was a fund holding surgery the consultant from Moorfields held a surgery in our practice saw the patient for a consultation and within a month the surgery was completed at Moorfields. The patients always said they did not know why they had put it off and that it was like a miracle that they could see clearly again.

Joan I hope that you are keeping well and that you manage to enjoy Christmas with your family.

Wildpurl I am also thinking of you

Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Good morning ladies!
We arrived safely last night after a 5 hour flight! 😞
Joan I am so sorry that you are having to wait so long for the CT results and that they hadn’t got a large enough sample to stage and grade the suspected cancer! Not nice with this hanging over you over the festive period. As Lovewine said I do hope that you aren’t entertaining the family this Christmas and that they will look after you?
Lovewine what an amazing procedure that your dad had yesterday! So glad that went so well! Hope you enjoyed your curry night last night! We got our traditional pasties from Temple Meads!😋 The journey was much easier, straight out of the airport onto the Flyer to the station and 40 min wait direct train to Worcester home by 10.30pm.
What a palaver at Gatwick with the flying of drones this morning! 😡 We have a number of staff and families hoping to return to Gatwick today! 😬
Cassie when do you finish, I hope it’s not Christmas Eve?
Wildpurl it must be a difficult time of year for you facing the second Christmas without your DD, are you going to your DS’s?
This morning we are going to see our friends that live near Worcester for coffee as they are off on a Christmas cruise tomorrow on the ship we went to Norway on! 😬They are heading down to the Canaries but have to cross the Bay of Biscay! 😖
Then we need to get some supplies in and fetch Christmas tree out of store! We got a bargain in the Dunelm sale in January!

Community Champion

Sorry pressed too soon!
Dad did very well at the eye hospital and was home by lunchtime having had his cataract removed and a new lens put in , he said it was totally painless and quick.😊
Community Champion

Good evening ladies. Joan, sorry you have not had much more information yet, hopefully it wont be too long, an awful feeling though waiting for results, i can tell you though a very good friend of mine and client had a very aggressive womb cancer when she was 50 and then bowel cancer 3 years ago totally seperate to the first one, she is in her 70 ‘S now and very healthy with no problems relating to either of the cancers, what awful bad luck though . What are you doing for Christmas? Hopefully not having to cook yourself! Having the grandchildren around will be a welcome distraction too.

Rosie, i think by now you are airborne 😏, enjoy the pasty, OH likes the steak one and i like the Stilton ones🤪. At least the weather isnt as wet and windy as it was earlier in the week.

Cassie, i hope ED is coping with her recent loss , will she be coming to you for Christmas? Always difficult when you are facing problems and not feeling particularly festive , i always feel sorry for people who are bereaved or homeless etc.

Wildpurl, i think you have finished now, hope you can have some well earned rest.

Getting ready to go out for our curry night now, am getting quite hungry too!

Thanks for all your good wishes and hugs. I think my last post must have gone adrift because I’m sure I told you about the biopsy results, which I had on Monday. However brain a bit scrambled at the moment. I”, not a great deal further forward because with bowel cancer they apparently cant find out grade and stage because the samples are so small. However one bit of good news, I think, is that it is bowel cancer, not metastasized breast cancer. The CT scan on Monday went fine, except for getting the cannula in for the dye, which took several attempts. The Macmillan nurse is going to keep an eye out for the results but its likely to be in the New Year rather than before Xmas. Trying to keep myself busy in order not to think about it all. Xmas helps. 

Lovewine, hope all has gone smoothly with your dads op and that you get to your dog walking and curry night. Rosie, youve got a good day for your flight, thank goodness it wasnt yesterday when we had high winds and torrential rain around Bristol. Hope you get your pasty. Xmas is always going to be a rather bittersweet time for you I guess, because of the anniversary of your dads death but a time for happy memories too. Cassie, youve had a busy time getting ready for Xmas, no wonder you fell asleep on the sofa. Wildpurl, I imagine your preparations are well in hand by now too, 

Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Good morning ladies from a very stormy Cyprus! Not the weather for taking off in! 🙀
The rain on the way to the theatre last night was torrential, thank goodness that I wasnt driving! The students did very well but it was very long, it started at 6.00 and finished at 9.00 with a 15 min interval! We hadn’t eaten luckily,I had 2 pizzas in the freezer so we had those! It was too late to sit and wait for food as DH had some loose ends to tie! 😬
Lovewine you will be glad to go out in the evening for your curry night after your busy week! Hope all goes smoothly today for your dad.I found out online that the Pasty Shop at Temple Meads is open until 9.00pm !🤪👍
Joan I too have been wondering how you are?🤔
Next post from much nearer to you all unless we get a delay due to the storms. We fly at 3.00pm and the storms are due to stop at 2pm! 😳 I think the airport will be busy with a lot of people going back for Christmas!

Community Champion

Good evening ladies, Joan, i have been thinking of you . 

Have been so busy with work which is what I expected this week. Dad tomorrow too at the hospital for his cataract operation and then out in the evening with 10 of the dog walking group at our local curry restaurant.

Rosie, i think the pasty shop stays open until the pastys are sold out, i bought some at Bristol and Birmingham towards the end of the day. Have a good trip back, very wet and windy all week forecast.🤨

4 years since your Dad died Rosie, i remember it very clearly, your Eldest GD is growing up fast too.😊

Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Good morning ladies!
Joan we hope that you now have the results of your tests and you are not having to wait any longer for the CT scan results! 😳
By now hopefully OH will be able to resume light duties and that you will both be able to go to GC’s Christmas fetivities.
Today I am having my Christmas nails done and then tonight we have the secondary performance of Peter Pan.
Tomorrow we fly to Bristol this time, so not as far to travel onwards on the train!
Lovewine I don’t suppose you have any idea what time the pasty store closes at the station? 🤔😂🤪 There are some foods we miss when we are out of the country!
Yesterday was 4 years since dad died!😥Today oldest GD is 17! 😯
Lovewine hope all goes well with your dad’s procedure tomorrow.
Cassie they use Zavania to rub on baby’s gums when they are teeething! It has many uses one of course being the local tipple!
Onward and Upward ladies!

Community Champion

Joan . Just a quick message before I go off to work .. will be thinking of you today and sending you a hug . 💐

Good morning ladies,

It looks sunny and bright outside at the moment which a relief from yesterday, the awful wind and driving rain and so dull after the blue sky's abroad. I have been busy on Friday I went out for some shopping and to pick up some more Christmas cards I wrote them out on my return and calculated how many more stamps I needed, promptly went out and posted all of the ones that are not for close family and work, there are about 40 so its a good job done. I then went off and did a little bit of food shopping again came home made some tea and fell asleep on the sofa for an hour and a half. I managed to sleep in yesterday morning until 9.58 which is not like me, I usually awake in the early hours and force myself to stay put till 7ish.

I met up with ED briefly for a cup of tea and a chat yesterday morning, she seems ok but obviously will be more relived when she has the next scan. When  I got back I put our Christmas tree up and put the lights on and a great speed put the decorations on YD just surfaced at this point she had been to one of her works Christmas parties the night before and I did not hear her return, goodness only knows what time it was.

My ex next door neighbour invited me to dinner before I went off on holiday, so that was very nice she lives in Palmers Green which is a bit of a palaver bus then train, they kindly gave me a lift back about 10.15 last night.

I will probably meet for a dog walk shortly, so yes ladies it's been busy.

I had looked up the Zavania had a little chuckle I saw that it is a local brandy 45% so I guess its the alcohol that stops the itch, only one or two still itching now though, so they are nearly recovered.

Have a good day ladies

Community Champion

Good Morning Ladies!
Joan Zavania is a traditional Cyprus tipple I will have a look when I am back in the supermarket! I don’t see why they wouldn’t sell it.
I am pleased that OH hernia repair was so easy that’s one thing behind you! I am glad that your CT scan has come through quickly let’s hope they have the results for tomorrow.
I am pleased that YD offered to drive you and go with you! 😊 We are all behind you stay positive!
Lovewine enjoy your family party this afternoon and catching up with family members! 🥳🥂
The weather was wonderful for the Christmas Fair on Friday after the heavy rain we experienced in the morning! It was all outside and dry and sunny. 😃😎
Yesterday was also lovely and today is also 22 and sunny! Storms returning tomorrow! 😏
DH and I went to the Chinese restaurant on Coral Bay yesterday evening and there was only us and another couple there. Coral Bay was very quiet with most bars and restaurants now shut. The Chinese said they were closing on Jan 2nd until March 1st!
Cassie and Wildpurl I expect that you are having a busy weekend?
Joan wishing you all the very best for today and tomorrow! 🌻
Community Champion

Hello ladies, Cassie, what a shame about your start to the holiday, always seems to be the way when you get a chance to relax. Glad you had some nice warm weather  though. Sorry to hear  about ED, hope she is coping ok both physically and emotionally, very tough for her.

Joan, at least the CT scan is fairly quick , i am keeping everything crossed for you , hope you dont have to wait too long for the results, i know you are going back on monday, would the results be ready then ?

Good OH is doing well after his procedure, hope you have a more restful night tonight, although i suspect you wont with the worry of scan etc.

The weather is awful here today, bitterly cold wind and sleet with freezing rain, i had some work to deliver so i made sure i did it first thing this morning.

We have a big family party tomorrow afternoon at my cousins house- all the elderly aunts,cousins, etc, be nice to catch up with them all.

Rosie, i hope the weather stayed dry for the  school fair and everyone enjoyed it.

Wildpurl, i think you are about to finish work for Christmas very soon, bet you are ready for a break by now.

Sorry to hear about ED Cassie, she does seem to have had more than her fair share of difficulties. And what a shame about the health problems you and YD had on holiday, Cassie, not the way you want to start, but it sounds as if you managed to have a good time in spite of it all. I sympathise about the mozzi bites, they love me too. Rosie, can you get the stuff you mentioned in England? 

All went well with husbands hernia op and he seems to be fine although neither of us had much sleep last night. DK why because he wasnt in any discomfort. He had it in an NHS treatment centre which just seems to do certain procedures -and nothing where complications are expected. All very impressive. My CT scan is tomorrow, so all very expeditious. YD offered to drive me, and although there is no reason why Icant drive myself it will be nice not to have to do so. Just hope I’m not too long. 

Community Champion

Good morning ladies!
Oh dear Joan you could have done without having to be a nurse to OH this weekend following his hernia repair! I am sorry that you can’t have a theatre day maybe next week? As you say you can get some Christmas organisation done and look forward to seeing the GC in their productions next week.
Cassie I am sorry to hear that you and YD experienced some minor health problems but glad you managed to enjoy some days.
We use Zavania for our bites it is very good for stopping the itching and it’s less than 3 euros a bottle here! 😏
Sorry to hear the news of ED also! Hope that GS is well?
This afternoon it is our Christmas Fair at school and the sky is black!😟We are usually very lucky and have a warm sunny day! It’s organised by the parents association. All the pupils are invited to wear Chrismassy clothes for a donation of 2 euros which will go to the children’s hospital in Nicosia.
Joan do hope that all goes well with OH’s procedure.

[ Edited ]

Hello Ladies,

The holiday was good but not without mishap, we got back on Tues at midnight and like a trouper I went into work Weds morning, I had booked the day off but prefer to work and have my usual long weekend instead.

Both YD and myself had some minor health issues YD went away with a slightly swollen eye lid which quickly got worse and looked like she had been in a boxing ring, a trip to the doctor was needed for stronger antihistamines and steroid tablets. After day three it spread to the other eye when the first started to recover, she will try to claim on the insurance but was not sure of her excess but we will see. Me on the other hand got violently sick the day after we arrived which lasted over 24 hours and then it took another 24 hours to recover and manage to eat again, it could only have been some bug or airplane food because I had only eaten a toasted cheese sandwich on the day we arrived because we were shattered and went to bed early!

Apart from the minor health problems it was a lovely holiday very relaxing sunny 28-30 degrees with a nice sea breeze the mosquitoes made a bit of a meal of me at least 25 bites which I really cannot deal with they are so itchy, weepy and disgusting to look at. The itching is beginning to abate now thank goodness.

It looks like ED has had another ectopic miscarriage bless her they are not sure she has had scans and blood test but needs to have it all repeated in 2 weeks which is hanging over her for Christmas which is not nice.

Thank you for all your kind thoughts ladies. I’m trying to distract myself by keeping busy- sometimes I even manage to forget about it, then it comes back and hits me. No news yet of the CT scan. The next couple of days are going to be a bit difficult because OH is having a hernia repair tomorrow so I will be doing quite a bit of hanging around then he needs to have me around for the next 24 hours so I’ll be stuck in the house. No theatre visit Rosie, probably Xmas preparations- mince pies, card writing, present wrapping etc. Next week there are GCs xmas events. It seems strange to be thinking of ways to get through the day when usually I’m thinking of how to fit everything in. 

Lovewine, glad you are having a relatively easy week before the expected onslaught next week. Wildpurl, you have obviously been very busy at work. Hope things have calmed down now so you can have a bit of a breather before all the Xmas preparations. Cassie, how was your holiday?

Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Good Morning ladies!
Joan we all continue to uphold you in our thoughts as you await the results. Hopefully you will have a theatre visit planned for the weekend with maybe a pre show meal that you can partake in this weekend after last weekends resticted bland diet?
Lovewine I am glad that at least this week isn’t turning out too busy for you.
Cassie I am not sure if you have returned from warmer climates or if you are still enjoying them?
Wildpurl I think you said you finish work soon for the Christmas break?
Last nights performance was much more tuneful! When the children appear on stage we realise just how many pupils we have! They are bursting out of the old building but it’s unlikely to be the spring before we can get the first pupils in the new building!😬
It will be a relief to have an evening in tonight. We had to eat out the previous 2 nights as the first performance on each evening started at 5.30 the second following at 6.45! By the time we were out it was after 8pm- too late to return and cook!😬 We went to the restaurant next to the new school site and had a selection of starters the first night and last night we went to the Chip shop on coral bay! Very unhealthy but great comfort food!🤪

Hello Ladies,

Sorry to hear the news Joan, what can I say that has not been already said by the other ladies, I will be thinking of you.

Community Champion

Good evening ladies, Joan i have been thinking of you today, i hope you are coping with the awful waiting and worrying, i hope you dont have to wait long for the CT scan .

Wildpurl, i loved your photograph of your beautiful snood, how talented you are.

Rosie, there always seems to be one child singing much louder than the rest at school productions! Hope tonight’s performance is a little quieter.

Have been fairly quiet today,  next week though is looking full on. 

Take care ladies, especially you Joan , like Rosie i am still reeling from your news , so goodness knows how you must be feeling - although i have a good idea.💐

Community Champion

Good Morning ladies!
Joan I think we are all reeling about your news and hoping it will be a quick fix and not a spread! We can only imagine how anxious you and the family must feel waiting for the news next Monday! I do hope that they will get you in for a CT scan very soon, like before Monday, so you will at least be in receipt of all the information! The worst part of this is undoubtedly worrying about the results and what if any the treatment is likely to be. Hopefully family and friends will rally round over the next few worrying days to provide some distraction!
You would have been distracted last night at our EY performance where one little girl was singing in a very loud shouty voice and stole the show!🤭
We have the upper Primary show tonight. I can’t help feeling thankful that I no longer have to take responsibility of these performances and can just sit and enjoy them! 😀
It’s a very windy day here today and I can hear the sea roaring away!🙀