cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GP said strong possibility you have breast cancer

71 REPLIES 71

Re: GP said strong possibility you have breast cancer

To be honest what happened with the gp seems a lifetime ago with everything that has happened since. Yes I agree I don’t think he should have said it but I am just thankful and grateful that it could of been worse. Set for more surgery in 3 weeks which hopefully will be the end of it all x

Doctor should gave been more tactful , your partner is right to be angry and should speak up for you if you are too afraid. It may make that GP alter his way of dealing with patients and save someone the awful fear you are feeling. Some people who have never felt fear don't understand it's ramifications. Good luck.MaxiM1410

Id be filing a formal complaint re GP putting the fear of god into you all this time. This is why there opinion should be kept to what they have knowledge of. Hope your not under the consultant too long of it all finally turns out to not need anything radical.
regards carol
Community Champion

Oh Becs, after everything,you finally have 'an answer', not what it is....but what it's not. That is great news, and I'm glad your horrible worrying period can be put to rest. x

Community Champion

Lovely news to hear Becs! Was really hoping you would report back that all was well 😊 I know your still left wondering but it's not cancer and that's certainly something to celebrate! Xx 

Community Champion

Becs

Thats great news, ok you might be seeing more of your consultant, but at least they are keeping a good eye on you xx

Community Champion

That’s fabulous news, so pleased for you Becs after all you’ve been through.
ann x

So the final, and defitive, answer is it is definitely not cancer which is great news! The relief is amazing. They still don’t know what is causing the lumps or the build up of fluid as every test is coming back as negative. The consultant still doesn’t have answers which is frustrating, and has said I will need more surgery. His exact words were “you will be seeing a lot more of me”.
Thank you guys so much for all the messages and kind words it really means the world to me. Looks like it’s not over yet, however I realise it could be a lot worse and I am exceptionally thankful xx
Community Champion

Hiyer Becs, I guess you might have had your Wednesday meeting by now?! I honestly can't believe what has happened to you either, you are having the most awful bad luck in all ways at the moment. Do let us know how you are doing. x

Community Champion

Oh Becs I can't believe what you are having to go through, you couldn't make it up bless you! I am so routing for this to be all over for you on weds 🤞🤞 Xx 

Apologise for the incredibly late reply, things haven’t been to good. Unfortunately I had complications during surgery, I aspirated during the surgery and had to have help breathing and developed pneumonia so had to be admitted.
I woke up to find I had 3 incisions, 2 where fluid built up and 1 where they had taken a lump. I’ve been pretty poorly since I’ve been home so just wanted my bed!
I get my results on Wednesday so fingers crossed they get to the bottom of what is going on as I am feeling incredibly fed up 😢
Community Champion

Checking up on you too Becs Smiley Tongue

Community Champion

Hi Becs, Hope your op went ok, when do you get results? its takes a couple of weeks to fully recover but I was well on the mend after a week, be good to hear how you are getting on Xx 

Thanks Charys, ha my mum always said I like to be different 😉

How long was your recovery? Wondering how quickly I could get back to work? I have been told they are hoping it will be a day case but to take an overnight bag just in case, but I'm assuming they say that to everyone x

Community Champion

All the best for tomorrow Becs, hoping you have a really easy time after lumpectomy (I had one too, though not the drain obviously as you are doing everything slightly differently Smiley Wink) I'm presuming you are a day surgery case or maybe not with the drain ?

Apologies I have been offline for a few days, my partner surprised me with a weekend away to take our minds off it all. I had my pre op on Friday morning and due in to hosital tomorrow morning.

They are going to do a lumpectomy, there is also a build up of fluid in front of the lump, which is still showing up as no infection so they are going to drain that, but also keep a drain in at the same time.

Community Champion

Ohhhh goodness.......What an absolute (insert word you feel appropriate). Are they planning lumpectomy then, and are you aware on the size of the  area ?

Community Champion

Oh Becs still the saga goes on, getting it removed should give you an answer once and for all as they can test the entire Lump and at least what ever it is will be gone, fingers crossed the outcome is in your favour as it's the least you deserve! Xx jo 

Biospy results were inconclusive, I am going in for surgery next Tuesday.

Community Champion

All the Best Becs. Let us know how you get on. x

Thanks Jo, I’m feel strangely calm about it all, I’m genuinely going with the expectation of a benign condition as my thoughts are if there was anything worse then they would of picked it up the first time. But then who knows! My appointment is at 9:15 so at least I don’t have to wait all day, I will let you know xx
Community Champion

Been thinking of you Becs and really hoping for the best outcome tomorrow, you deserve to know exactly what's going on after all the stress you've had to deal with, please let us know how you get on Xx 

Well results day tomorrow, fingers crossed I get some definitive answers x
Community Champion

HIyer,

You poor thing, I'm also not surprised you are feeling just terrible. As Jobey said they rarely, if ever, ring with results. They have a policy not to do so, as then if you don't get a phone call you know its bad news. So, they keep all news, good and bad to the results appointment. I've said before that it really is a truly awful set of occurrences that you have had happen, and so unusual. Please hold on in there, although it must feel like hell right now. x

Community Champion

Hi Becs, I'm not surprised you've had enough after the run around you've been given! It's doubtful they would have rang and told you anything especially as you have a results appointment , they never intend to give results over the phone, sorry I know that's not really what you want to hear.

I wish I could offer more help Xx Jo 

Finding the wait till next Wednesday when I get the biopsy results really difficult now, feel like I’m currently on a never ending rollercoaster Smiley Sad
Do you think if they had found anything sinister they would have rang me by now?
Sorry just feeling extremely fed up with it all now!
Community Champion

Becs we are here to listen and help where we can , please don't worry about upsetting anyone , as Charys says we are all a way down the line, I think I'm the old timer 3 years on! I certainly didn't have to deal with what you are, My nerves were shredded as it was and my diagnosis and treatment were straight forward. 

They will get to the bottom of what's going on and if it does turn out to be breast cancer you will in a strange way be glad they persisted with tests, hopefully this set of biopsies with be conclusive and you will be able to move forward, this time in limbo is just the worst but there is no escaping the wait so keep yourself as occupied as you can as it helps the time pass a bit quicker Xx Jo 

Community Champion

That’s what we’re here for, Becs. I certainly didn’t go through this horrible uncertainty. Mine was picked up on screening, recall appointment on the mat on return from hols for the next day, biopsy results in one week & yes, it was an early bc, now 2 years down the line & all’s fine. So it was quite straightforward, really.
Thank god I went for that mammo.
They will get to the bottom of it, but as Charys says, I have not seen a similar experience here, so you’re perfectly entitled to feel the way you do.
ann x
Community Champion

Hiyer,

Gosh no......don't worry about us.....Jobey is 3 years after diagnosis/treatment, Helena 1 year, and I am 2 years after diagnosis/treatment. Our last mammograms were all fine Smiley Very Happy (sorry, speaking for you too ladies, but I'm hoping you don't mind). So, you are suffering much more than we are right now - its a horrible time for you. You just post away, we hang around here, on this forum, to help people struggling as you are now.

Community Champion

Becs

Oh my dear you really are going through it but everything crossed that they get to the bottom of it with these results.

Sending you loads of hugs

Helena xxx

Thank you xx I feel awful for posting so frequently as there are all of of you going through far worse than what I am.
Just want answers now x
Community Champion

Becs - I honestly don't know what to say that will help. To actually have the consultant say he doesn't know what it is at this point, must be incredibly difficult. You have had the most dreadful few weeks, a real roller coaster and it's far from over isn't it. All I can say is that now all the biopsies have been done that will surely provide the answer.

I feel really sorry for you right now - having had one diagnosis that was benign and now having to go through the worry of waiting again for results. This must be taking its toll on you mentally! (and your partner) Whatever is going on, it does sound very unusual in terms of how it is presenting, and I don't think I've read a similar story to yours in the couple of years I've been on here. They will get to the bottom of it, and ultimately thats what you need to be done, however painful the waiting process is.

Do keep talking to us on here if you need to. X

Community Champion

Oh Becs, I do feel for you, this is turning into such a saga, which you can certainly do without.
Sending hugs & do come & off load whenever you need to.
ann x
Highlighted

So I feel I have taken 1 step forward and 10 steps back Smiley Sad I saw the consultant today who said he was so surprised that it wasn’t an infection, he doesn’t know what it is. He sent me for another ultrasound and said he would see me in 2 weeks. I have had a core biopsy and they have taken samples from the lump and normal breast tissue.
So another 2 week wait.
Community Champion

Oh my word.....what a mystery this is turning into. Thank goodness they have brought the appointment forwards and its tomorrow, that must feel at least somewhat better knowing its very soon. I hope whatever is happening goes well tomorrow, and you find out what is going on - and what is troubling you, most importantly! I am wondering if whatever sample they drained from the 'abcess' showed no infection, therefore not an abcess - are they back to a cyst? Sending my best wishes too x

Community Champion

Goodness Becs, but at least you’re being seen promptly. Sending best wishes for tomorrow.
ann x

Yes they told me when I was there last Sunday that it was an abscess. In fact after my mammogram the consultantant said everything was fine, hel’ll send me for an ultrasound but it will be a cyst and he wouldn’t need to see me again. He did see me after and was shocked that it wasn’t a cyst.
Anyway the hospital have rang and they want to see me 10:30 tomorrow. It was the nurse that rang, I did ask should I be worried and she “we don’t think so”. I honestly have no idea what is going on.
Community Champion

...and you've been trying to call them and getting nowhere.  I am astounded by how poorly they are dealing with this, and leaving you to worry yet again. Not even a quick call from them to say why no antibiotics? I honestly hope that tomorrow you find something out about what is going on. Do let us know, this really is turning into a saga. I'm really sorry for you. Hang on in there.

Community Champion

Hold on, but they told you it was an abcess?! They told you to your face. I'm not getting this....so they didn't note anything on the notes relating to what they found and just sent another apppointment. This is shocking - what a gross example of terrible communication. Its shocking.

So, your GP is going to try and find something out for you?

Just a shame it’s not until the 16th so another 2 week wait!
Community Champion

Honestly Becs, what is going on?!
So sorry to hear you’re having all of this hassle. Hopefully your gp will get to the bottom of it & at least you’ve been sent another appointment.
ann x

The hospital said once they had tested what they had taken out I would receive the antibiotics within a week. Been trying to get in touch with the hospital since Thursday, it’s only because the gp rang me that I now know it’s not an infection.
I just don’t know what to do now.
Community Champion

What on earth ??? I can't believe I am reading this. Becs this is nuts, who was meant to give you antibiotics ?

Community Champion

Becs

Well hopefully your GP will call you tomorrow, if you dont hear anything by mid afternoon I would give your GP a call to see what they have established xx

Hi Helena,
Thank you for the words, I was going to reply with once I’ve got over all the emotions I will speak to practice in regards to the gp, however I am now back at square one.
Having not received any antibiotics and being in pain and the lump returning, I have been trying to get in touch with the hospital for the last few days with no luck. Randomly the gp rang me today to see how I was doing, explained the situation, he logged in to the hospital records and it states it’s not an abscess and I don’t have an infection. He said he would rig the hospital to see what is going on, I have also had a letter for another appointment. So who knows what is going on!
Community Champion

Becs99

I totally agree with what CHarys says, I think you should give some serious feedback to your GP after what they have put you through to ensure that they do not put someone else through that very unnecessary stress

I know it is going to take a bit of healing but so glad to hear that it is an abcess. 

Your post will also help ladies coming on here who are concerned that they have bc to see that a lump does not have to be bc, there are other benign breast conditions that it could be.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery.

Helena xxx

Community Champion

Like, did they say the size, how large was it? Guess it is unusual, in defence to your GP who didn't notice it (not in defence of the 'you probably have cancer' statement though, to have something so large and yet without pain etc.

Well, yes, enjoy your sleep...it'll probably take a week to get over the stress levels you've had. Glad coming here made a difference, you are more than welcome.

No pain at all, they were so shocked at the outcome, kept saying I must be made of steel! I felt a bit like an animal in a zoo, more and more people kept coming in to the room as they couldn't believe what they were seeing. They are sending what they have taken out to pathology to make sure I get the right antibiotics, and I have to go back in a few weeks as they couldn't get it all out.

I think I will be having a word with the gp, but for tonight I'm going to enjoy, hopefully, a full nights sleep!

Thank you so much for the support it really has been appreciated x

Community Champion

Sorry, I actually forgot to say - HUGE relief for you and amazing news! So, you've felt no pain ???

Community Champion

WELLLLllllllll, well, there we go !!!! Your GPSmiley Frustrated !!! Firstly, so so glad to hear this, an infection that can be treated and so angry that you have been put through 'I think you've got cancer' scenario. Will you be saying to the practice that its not acceptable to make an assertion about 'you have cancer' before you have tests done? I mean, for the sake of others really. Of course he was right to refer, but...really........all that anxiety.Smiley Mad