Community Champion

Re: Waiting for results :-(

Hi Rach,

Its the pits isn't it. I bet you are having trouble eating and sleeping too...it would be surprising if you weren't ! Remember that the treatment of breast cancer is very modern and effective nowadays, and actually advancing all the time. It is one of the most treatable of cancers,with a large variety of treatment methods spending on the individual type. I can see that you are feeling a lot of emotional pain right now. Why not give the helpline a call on the number at the top of the website?

charys x

Highlighted
Community Champion

Rach

I have just seen your post and wanted to acknowledge itxx

this is a really difficult time and we can all totally understand what you are going through.  This is the worst time when you are waiting for your results as your anxiety levels are so high and rational thinking goes out the window, this is obviously heightened with your family history and your husband passing away. 

I would wait until you know exactly what you are dealing with before saying anything to the kids, and IF there is something to tell them there are some really good booklets on this website to help with that, but what you need to keep in mind that IF and it is a big IF it is bc then treatment is very good, which you will see from the experiences of a lot of the ladies on here. 

Sending you a special hug and just keep coming on here and we will get you through this.

Helena xxx

I am kind of in same situation. I'm 43, long family history of breast cancer, discovered a large 3 cm lump, doctors, then initial consultant visit, two week wait for mammogram and ultra sound on same day, then they did biopsy on same day, also concerned about lymph nodes, so two biopsies. Now have to wait two weeks for results. Scared is not the word. Husband died 4 years ago, have a he partner but obv my kids are my main concern. Can't be thought of even telling them I'm ill, coz they will almost definately think they'll lose me, as they did their dad. I'm close to tears literally every minute of every day right now

They're going to get me started on chemo first, it's a triple negative cancer so they believe starting chemo straight away is the best option, then surgery to remove what's left that will be followed by radiotherapy - meeting the chemo dr tomorrow to discuss further x my only concern is I'm supposed to be going on holiday in just over 4 weeks x I'm hoping they wait until I get back x
Community Champion

Hiyer Karen,

At stage 1, you've caught things nice and early! Have they discussed your treatment plan and said you need chemo already? What surgery have they offered for you?

Sorry you are joining us too, its not a sad place here though, its full of hope and strength x

Thanks Ann - still feels a bit surreal at the moment x
Community Champion

Sorry to hear you're joining us Karen, but thank goodness it's been diagnosed when it has. Now it can be dealt with, so there's every reason to be very positive about it.
Loads of support here whenever you need it.
ann x

Not great news - it is cancer x stage 1 grade 2 so Drs say very treatable x appointment tomorrow for MRI & discussion on start date for chemo x
Community Champion

REally sorry to hear that Fiona, so you will get to join our little club and stick around.... but you've found out quickly and thank goodness early due to the extended screening. It's such a lot to take in isn't it. I'm glad you are chilling with your maltesers.....but how are you actually feeling ? 

Hi

Not good news this afternoon.  Two areas to be treated in the left breast. I should get my MRI appointment date tomorrow and then once they have analysed that they can decide which surgery option is best - breast conservation or mastectomy.

Just chilling out with a glass of wine and some Malteasers.

X Fiona

Ah Fiona I'm also in Nottinghamshire so I'm glad in one way as it looks like they're on the ball so to speak in terms of diagnosis x 4 days & counting! Got my letter from consultant that gave slightly more details as to why the biopsy was done - irregular shape with ill defined margains - so I'm thinking that was important in the diagnosis - I did the worst thing - google!
Community Champion

Hi again,

Happening quickly is a good thing  for your mental health though (I know it won't feel like it for you right now....but extended waiting is the worst part and for many people it can take quite a few weeks from referral to mammogram to biopsy to results). It sounds like as they've already extended their programme to the lower age range that they are taking very seriously their bc referral and treatment process timescales. Keep yourself busy today Fiona, and very best wishes for your results tomorrow. x

Hi Charys

Thank you for your reply  - it is all happening so quickly which is the scary thing.  It is Nottinghamshire NHS Trust.

I will be back on tomorrow afternoon/evening hopefully to let you know the outcome.

x

Community Champion

Hi Fiona,

So sorry you are going through this horrible wait too....if its any consolation....your response and waiting times are impressively good. Which nhs trust are you with ? Seems to be a lot of us 47 and 48 year olds having suspect things happening recently Smiley Sad

Do come back tomorrow and let us know how you got on x

Hi Karen

I'm a newbie and this is my first post.

I'm 48 and had my first mammogram on 9 June - the local NHS Trust are trialing extending their age range for routine screening.  I thought nothing of it but received a letter asking me to to go back yesterday where I was told there was a shadow on my left breast.  I was duly examined and drawn on.  Had an ultrasound and biopsies taken from two places and get the results tomorrow afternoon at 4 so can totally go with the agony of waiting.  Thinkning of you x

Thanks for all your comments x I've not really shared my worries in detail with my hubby - bit scared to open the floodgates - i just keep thinking get through the next day & im a day closer to getting the results - then I can plan what happens next x
Community Champion

Ah yes Jobey, its coming back to me now.....

My surgeon said they wouldn't ring with news, they like to give it in person - either good or bad. The reason she gave for this is that they like women to be treated fairly and consistently....i.e. if they called those who were 'clear' then if you had no call you would know it was bad news.

Community Champion

Hi Karen, I'm sorry you are having to go through this awful waiting period, it really is torture and we can all relate! They wouldn't ring you with bad news, it's the one thing they really try not to do which is why they make you an appointment for results , they are more likely to call you earlier if the results are good which has happened to a few ladies I know, I did get my results over the phone but only because they were certain they would be benign, they weren't and they were very apologetic at me having to be told this way as it's not how they like to do it, your mind will wander all over the place until you know for certain and this is totally normal, try and keep yourself a busy as you can which will help the says pass quicker Xx Jo 

Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Sadly, it is emotional and psychological torture, there's no way to sugar coat it. I'm terribly sorry to hear about your Mum, but please remember what a knowledgeable nurse told me....'if you are going to be unlucky enough to get any type of cancer bc is the one to get, due to how treatable it is compared to others'. Of course it will play on your mind that your Mum died of a different cancer type, but it was a very different location. Of course, this is all jumping the possibly not even present gun.....as you don't know anything about your biopsy yet. That's the problem, the not knowing, it is very very painful. Have you shared with those around you how you are feeling ?

Charys thank you x guess the next 6 days will be torture 😢 My mum died from endometrial cancer almost 2 years ago & they've said they aren't connected but it is playing on my mind x