Re: Waiting and overthinking!

Did they say a cyst? I didn't think they would need to biopsy a cyst? That's made me more scared haha

4 weeks seems like a long time for results too! Do you feel less anxious after today's appointment at least? Xx

I've had my scan and needed a biopsy as they found a cyst but it's hard and had no fuild so she's took samples of the cells instead. 4 weeks I have too wait now for them results xx

Hi Lizp85

Thinking of you today, hope you got some answers at your appointment.

Ive been told now I might not be seen until 13/12! I've sent a complaint today as that will be 9 days after I breach the 2 week cancer rule!

Xx

Hi Lizp85

I'm still waiting for my appointment! My 2 weeks is up tomorrow but when I called today they said they're still waiting on confirmation of a clinic either tomorrow or Wednesday!

At least you have your appointment tomorrow and will hopefully get some answers!

I don't have any pain in my breast but have read lots of posts with women who have (with varying outcomes/diagnosis)

The only pain I have is an aching and sometimes burning pain in my shoulder of the affected side (left)

Good luck to you for tomorrow! Xx

Hi all I've got my scan tomoz I'm so scared I'm thinking all sorts .I went Docs because what I was feeling in my left boob was getting bigger and really lumpy plus my mole in other was sore .the docs felt my left boob and found it straight away .I've got family history which didn't end well .do any of u experience dull pain in your boob ? X

Hi

I understand completely the anxiety you're experiencing and I can only offer  you this:  Please, please, please contact your nearest Maggies Cancer Centre for help with the emotional side of things.  

I had my own cancer diagnosis in the summer but had to wait 9 days for my first consultation as the biopsy results needed to be processed.  During this time I went into a very dark zone and although I wasn't choosing the wood for my coffin, boy was it getting close!!!  The mind is a very powerful tool.  I'm not belittling the wonderful healthcare professionals looking after us in hospitals but Maggies helps with the myriad of emotions and feelings thrown our way in situations like BC.   The first time I went (to one at Oxford), a very kind lady asked me if I wanted tea the moment I stepped across the threshhold.  Of course I couldn't answer as her kindness had turned me to a sobbing wreck.  She sat us down and listened to my fears for what seemed like ages.  My husband and I couldn't believe how calm and soothed we felt when we left an hour or so later.  They can't address the clinical/medical side of things but they can help put things into perspective and reassure you that all these worries are normal.  Their support is available to anyone associated with cancer so this covers partners, family and friends too.  It's free and they also gave me some coping strategies for when I wake up in the night in a cold sweat imaging the worst.  (I no  longer do so...)

No appointment is necessary (unless you want to book onto a group class or a one-to-one session with a counsellor).  Look up your nearest Maggies on the internet and just turn up.  You won't regret it!

I wish you well and hope the future looks brighter soon.  xxx

Unfortunately I'm still waiting to be told about my appointment 😞 my 2 weeks is up on Tuesday (4/12) and I've called the clinic about 3 times to chase an appointment but all they can tell me is they have no current capacity and are waiting for additional clinics! I've asked them to put me on a cancellation list as I work at a neighbouring Trust (on the same hospital site!) to the breast unit and could be there with 5 minutes notice but nothing as yet.

I'm starting to think "the longest 2 weeks" could now become "the longest 3 or 4 weeks!"

I'm going to call them again on Monday (the ladies there are going to be sick of me!)

Has anyone had their 2 week target breached?

Xx

Thanks Rachel. Glad to hear you got the all clear! I'm sure my appointment will be much the same and hopefully I'll be back here passing on a good news story to someone else who's going through a tough waiting period! Xx

Hi M7391

I just wanted to echo Helena's comments below. I have just been through the same process myself (my appointment at the Breast clinic was yesterday following the two week wait). I also had to attend a clinic for under 40s (I am 32).

My thought process was much the same as yourself. The first couple of days after coming back from the GP, I was convinced it was breast cancer. After 2-3 days however, I just carried on and my mentality changed. Instead of convinced that it was cancer, I became convinced it was not and I almost forgot about it as I went about my daily life I can only hope that you find the same thing whilst you are waiting.

By the time my appointment came around, I then became convinced that I had lulled myself into a falsIe sense of security and it was going to be bad news. It was not bad news at all. After the initial examination I was told it did not feel worrying, I went for an ultrasound and was told everything was normal. 

The emmotions that went alongside the waiting are some of the strangest I have experienced in a while, but I would wager that nothing I went through or that you are going through is out of the ordinary. Just keep going day to day as best you can and hopefully appointment day will come around before you know it. 

Sending you hugs in the meantime! xx

Rachel.

Community Champion

M7391

Just keep comoing on here and we will get you through it. 

The trouble is that flipping anxiety monster who likes to take control of our rational mind.  I have recently been through a similar thing in that I have had a hysterectomy and my logical mind said it was nothing sinister but in those "quiet" times I was so scared it was cancer, very glad to report it was not and I am well on the mend and about to return to work

helena xxx

Thanks Helena. I guess like you said and most of the other posts I've read have said, you can read all the stats about the likelihood etc. but when it comes to being in this position my mind keeps flipping from logical thinking to catastrophising!

I'm trying to keep my mind on other things but it's there all the time niggling at the back of my mind! I know everyone on here is in or has previously been in this position and its nice to just be able to vent really!

Here's hoping the next week passes quickly! Xx
Highlighted
Community Champion

M7391

Hello and welcome to the forum.  You did absolutely the correct thing in going to your GP as any changes in your breast need to be checked out, however, as you have probably seen on here, a change does not mean that it is breast cancer, there are a lot of benign breast conditions that it could be and you are being referred to the experts to get it checked out.

What you are feeling is totally natural and we can all relate to that feeling of one minute thinking that you are wasting their time to being convinced it is something sinister and no matter what anyone tells you until you been to your apt you will not get peace of mind.  Try as much as possible to keep yourself distracted.

Sending you hugs

Helena xxx

Waiting and overthinking!

Hi all

I'm posting on here whilst waiting for an appointment at my local breast cancer clinic.

I've recently been having an aching and sometimes burning sensation in my left shoulder and shoulder blade (only ever on the one side). On 15/11 I had some shooting pain in my left armpit which in turn lead me to notice a lump and some (small, almost unnoticeable) swelling in the area between my left armpit and breast.

I went to see my GP on 20/11 as the lump and swelling were still there. At first the GP said she couldn't feel anything but once I showed her the area she agreed there was a lump and completed a 2 week urgent referral to the breast clinic.

My CAB (choose and book) appointment was cancelled as I need to be seen in an "under 40s" clinic (I'm 27). On speaking to the clinic they've explained they are awaiting extra clinics and I'm likely to receive an appointment for 4/12 once the clinic is confirmed. (I work within the NHS so I'm well aware of 2 week cancer referrals, limited capacity and the sometimes very short notice of additional clinics!)

So far during the waiting period my thoughts have been switching from "of course its not breast cancer" to "I'm certain it's breast cancer". I'm sure most others awaiting assessment probably have the same thoughts!

I find my self comparing the area to the same area on the opposite side all the time. Sometimes I'm convinced the lump feels "unusual" and like an "extra piece" and then other times I feel like I'm making a big thing out of nothing and the lump is probably just part of my usual insides and I'm just focusing too much on it!

Is it normal to feel a little like a fraud whilst awaiting assessment?! If my GP agreed then surely there must be something there?

Not sure what I'm hoping to get from posting online but I feel like I'm losing my mind! I have my mum as support and a friend who I've told about my referral but their view is "it won't be breast cancer so don't worry". I know they're trying to be supportive and lessen my worry but I don't feel I can speak openly to them about this through fear they'll think I'm overreacting.

Is anyone else feeling just as crazy during the wait pre assessment? Xx