Highlighted
Community Champion

Re: Referred to breast clinic and feeling anxious

Any result Peachypie after your appointment?

It's a morning appointment I have, 09:30 so I'm hoping from what you have said that I should be good to return and cover some stuff on the afternoon that we are short staffed for. Unfortunately even working in the NHS doesn't offer up much in terms of a flexible workforce these days! Besides, I haven't really wanted to create much fuss about it at work so have literally only told one manager.

Part of me is hoping they will take one look and tell me to go away/it's nothing to worry about; then the other part is worried that if they do that I will chew myself up that they have missed something and it will only be found when it is too advanced.

My mind is in such overdrive... I want to come away feeling 100% confident that I do not have BC. Is that the general feedback on here? Do women usually feel they are given a definitive and confident answer either way?
Community Champion

I do hope it all gets checked appropriately.

I can understand that thought, considering as you say you aren't experiencing anything that screams 'worrying symptoms'. I'm sure they will check properly, they don't take any risks from GP referrals, and at the end of the day you need an answer (as does your GP) to what they think is causing your skin problem area.

As for the timescale, it kind of depends on if it is a one-stop clinic and if you need any further tests following the meeting with the consultant/surgeon. It's hard to put a time on it, as if you needed the 'full works' of a biopsy, mammo etc. then it could be a couple of hours I guess probably not more. If the consultant decided there was no reason to do any further tests then it could be much quicker. If I was you I would explain to work that you really can't say how long it will be.....you might be back fairly quickly, or you might not be able to be back for a few hours. I know it's asking them to be incredibly flexible, but there isn't much choice really. 

I'm sorry I can't see your first post, when did you say the appointment at the clinic was ?

Thank I so much for taking the time to respond Charys. I know it makes sense to get something like this checked out (I would without doubt be telling anyone else to do so!) it's just all seeming a little too "real" now I have the appointment looming. I guess I'm anxious I won't be taken seriously and they will wonder why I am there as I have none of the other classical symptoms. I do hope it all gets checked appropriately. I'm a single mum and worry tremendously about the thought of anything happening to me for my daughters sake 😪

Thanks so much for giving some insight into the appointment process. Work have hinted at me going in after the appointment. Is it likely to last more than a couple of hours?
Community Champion

[ Edited ]

Do you know, its amazing how many times we read people saying this here...

I'm going to feel really silly if I am wasting valuable time at the clinic

The breast clinic is for all women who have symptoms that need checking, benign troublesome conditions are the main reason they see people. Yes, they do find some cases of bc, but they aren't called the 'breast cancer clinic'. You have been referred, you have a troublesome skin reaction which your GP wants checked, and you have every reason to be seen and it won't be a waste as that is what the NHS and clinic are there for! Feeling apologetic/silly are not required Smiley Wink:

Now, the clinic appointment. I can only tell you really about the experience that most seem to have, and I had. Some clinics are 'one stop clinics', where they will also do the necessary tests and biopsy at the same visit, IF it were necessary. Usually you are seen firstly by the surgeon or oncologist running the clinic. They will do a manual examination and ask you some questions, for example, how long has it been there, what other symptoms do you have, have you noticed X or Y. Probably following that, if they think you should be checked further, you will have a mammogram/and/or ultrasound with a radiographer.

After the mammogram the consultant reviews the images taken. If at this point there is concern that there is something there which they wish to check further then it is possible that they will do a core biopsy/needle biopsy (although there are different types of biopsy that they can do, so don't be surprised if yours doesn't follow exactly this pattern). A core biopsy is done with a local anaesthetic injection, and is often done by the radiographer using the ultrasound machine to guide. Just because they do a biopsy it doesn't mean they are sure you have bc, it just means that there is something there and they need to be exactly certain what it is, and only a tissue sample will give those definite results. For some people the process described so far is a bit more broken up, they are seen at different appointments for the mammogram and then biopsy. If you do have a biopsy then you don't get the results on the same day, so another agonising wait I'm afraid (but you can always come here and chat with us during this time Smiley Surprised). The results can take approx. a week to come back, but this too varies in different areas of the country and depends on how busy pathology departments are.

I know its a horrible time,waiting for that appointment. Everyone here, who has either been given the 'all clear' or been given a diagnosis will tell you how staggeringly painful and tough it is. I think, and hope, I've answered everything......please do say if I can help further ?

Referred to breast clinic and feeling anxious

Hi all, just looking for some advice really of what to expect at initial breast clinic appt?

I'm 36, have had a persistent red (growing) patch to my breast last few weeks that didn't respond to steroid cream so GP referred me today and I have an appt next week.

My mum had a mastectomy in her mid 40's (not IBC) so I'm naturally fearing the worst. I have no other symptoms than the rash and some slight discomfort (don't know if I'm just imagining that though!!)

Any thoughts/guidance would be appreciated!

I'm going to feel really silly if I am wasting valuable time at the clinic