the breast cancer
support charity

ChoccieMuffin

Re: Enjoying yourself while having radiotherapy

Self and daughter shared 3 bottles the other night and standing up was definitely a challenge so I don't recommend 6. As for where it was from, 2 from AllBarOne and the other from Tesco.

Please use plain text.
Lemongrove

Sarah, I think incorporating items from the store cupboard is a whole new avenue, but I would remind you that radiotherapy does require the patient to keep still (so there might be limitations).
There is also the problem that after the sixth bottle of your favourite tipple downed through a straw, you may not be up to getting stuff out of the store cupboard (or even stand up).

Please use plain text.
SarahAL

On balance the straw idea is more do-able.

The lead apron idea is interesting, and possibly could be combined in inventive ways with other bits of gear lurking in the storage rooms (rubber, straps etc) but unfortunately would need more time than the appointment schedule allows.

Please use plain text.
Lemongrove

Sarah, I think you will have to arrange the extra services with your dishy radiographer for after the radiotherapy, unless you can get them to wear one of those lead aprons (which come to think of it could be quite interesting). Also, the thread does say enjoying yourself while having radiotherapy -so that is what we've got to focus on.
Trish1968 has helpfully suggested the idea of a straw, so that we can drink alcohol while having radiotherapy, and so far that sounds the most sensible option.

Please use plain text.
SarahAL

before I opened this thread i thought it meant during the treatment itself... I do remember I had a rather dishy radiographer at one point but never thought to ask if any extra services might be provided on the NHS..

Please use plain text.
DaisyGirl

This is a great thread! Sitting here laughing out loud to myself like a loony!

CM, was your wine from Chilie? I can't drink wine from there, gives me a huge hangover, even after one glass, so I always make sure it comes from Italy or France. I sound like a real snob when I ask the bar staff where the wine comes from but who cares!

Please use plain text.
ChoccieMuffin

Thank you so much for this thread, I've laughed so loud I woke the cat up!

Please use plain text.
Ninja

The major risk factor is having boobs or moobs.

Therefore, ladies and gents, mine's a double!

Please use plain text.
oldandlumpy

actually according to susan loves book although alohol by itself increase risk of BC if you combine it with other major risk factors it does not inrease that risk--hurrah.

Please use plain text.
hymil

Oh what a great thread ladies, you have all really made me laugh tonight! Thank you so much!

ChoccieMuffin, I love your reply; I have used a medical reply to a social question (Hello how are you and would you like to support my charity / Thank you I'm great I just finished my cancer treatment and No I wouldnt I'm off to celebrate) That was surprisingly effective, but I never thought to use an unexpected social response to a medical How are you. Gotta try that next time I see a doctor :smileyhappy: Are you still getting the pains in the neck / No, he left...

Squeak yes, I think maybe chemo does put your liver into an altered state of (in)capacity; it has such an onslaught of so many strange chemicals to deal with, that the honest familiarity of alcohol is probably quite a refreshing respite. So alcohol can cause cancer, yeah and...?? And does it make your hair fall out too??

Please use plain text.
crazylesley

Ladies you have made me smile with some of your comments:smileyhappy: Thank you for cheering me up Lesley x

Please use plain text.
oldandlumpy

sorry to lower the tone, but the mention of fun things to do whilst laid flat on your back, topless did not automatically bring drinking wine into my mind.

Please use plain text.
stargazerlily

I thought I was going to be in the same situation. My friend is fifty and we are going to an adults only butlins weekend, and when I say party all night, I am not exagerating! We have been going for a few years now, a few times a year. I was between my surgery this time. But anyway, we are going in November for my friends birthday and I was determined I was not missing out.

Well, the treatment changed and now I am going to be bang right in the middle of chemo and herceptin, but I am still going. I have managed to organise it that it will be my good week, and just hoping and praying i wont be hospitalised with an infection.

Go and enjoy yourself and have a lovely time. Fun and laughter is the best medicine going. xx

Please use plain text.
DJ007

IV or through a portacath if you have one?

Dx

Please use plain text.
trish1968

maybe instead of having our hands clasped above our heads we could ask for a little gap into which we insert and hold a glass , a straw leading from said glass to our mouths = job done i reckon !

Please use plain text.
GIJaneH

The thought of trying to drink wine whilst arms are above head and your topless is mind boggling!!

Please use plain text.
Lemongrove

I don't think you should drink alcohol during radiotherapy, because you need to keep still. But as soon as you get out of the hospital into the pub, you can have as many as you like (just joking).

Please use plain text.
sky2sea

I went to WOMAD festival for the weekend during rads and altho i was more restrained than usual (in terms of alcohol consumption, late nights and jigging about in a vaguely dancey fashion) I was absolutely fine.

Go. Have a ball/jig/bop/laugh and neck some beer/vino/cider as appropriate.

hugs
xD

Please use plain text.
squeak

Hi,
Surprisingly during my rads I had far too much to drink one weekend (more than my pre diagnosis drinking) and no hangover the next day. Was wondering if my liver has improved at processing toxins due to chemo.

I had a long weekend in Paris after session 26/33 of rads and the time away was really good for me, a nice break from the hospital routine. They even shuffled my appointments to early Friday and late Monday to accommodate me.

Have fun
Jen

Please use plain text.
ChoccieMuffin

OAL, you do make me laugh! :-D

I turned up this morning, the lovely radiographer said, as usual, "how are you today?" to which I replied "a bit hung over actually." I know, should have taken more water with it!

Not a problem - except for the disapproving looks from others as you neck another glass of something tasty while obviously having cancer treatment. My view is that I KNOW alcohol can give you cancer because the meejah say so, but I've already got it so I'm going to have another glass! That's in my more bolshey moments (like yesterday) where I just want to stick up a middle finger to this blasted disease.

Hope you have a lovely time at the festival and that you don't end up with a sore head. (Mine's feeling a lot better now, thanks for asking! ;-) )

Please use plain text.