the breast cancer
support charity

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
crispy

Re: Running and Tamoxifen

hi Whizz

I'm still battling with running again . The tax took a toll of my feet and I'm waiting for an orthopaedic opinion.But.... I've taken up cycling in order to cycle a marathon distance for pedal it pink and am slowly building up stamina. i find i need to vary route / training method (have some very encouraging trainers at the gym who talked about interval training to trick the body into burning calories). Have managed to cycle fifdteen miles non stop this week.

Keep on trucking.

Crispy

Please use plain text.
Wizzbaby

Thank you

I love hearing how everyone is getting on it's a real encouragement.

I now think that it was just a stage I had reached. Two friends suggested that I listened to my body and that maybe a run followed by decorating would cause me to get tired. Another runner suggested changing my route, running with a friend or changing how I ran in the middle 10 mintues. And so far that seems to have broken the stalemate. so I managed nearly 5 miles this morning.

I'm still really having to watch the weight though, even with the running it is a battle to keep the weight off. I will ask at my next appointment as my ribs and the whole radiotherapy area is still sore a year after I finished.

with love - wizz

Please use plain text.
AJXXX

I walked race for life 2 days after DX in May 07 and I walked it last year 5 months after rads had finished and improved my time by 10 minutes. This year I am determined to run it and I feel I am back to my pre-cancer fitness levels despite being bigger than before and I also get very hot now and have to have a towel if I am in the gym or doing a class.

I have only just started jogging and can only do it if I am strapped down in a good sports bra but heart and lungs seem to cope better than legs!!

Good luck to everyone getting fit again.

AJxxx

Meant to say had WLE + all nodes removed, chemo and rads and now on tamoxifen

Please use plain text.
debsy

Hi

I have found my lungs aren't the same, I first noticed while on FEC, after the first 5 days after chemo I really wanted to get out of the house and get fresh air, me and my sister have always been walkers and would take long walks after we dropped kids off at school. I had 4 cycles and we both noticed I was getting slightly slower and puffing more with each cycle (although we were doing roughly 5/6 miles and both fast walkers). When i went onto Taxotere the walks died a death, I was really washed out and blistered all over my feet no matter what comfy old shoes I wore. Then while early days on herceptin I had the most awful aching legs and hips, when I got out of bed I would literally stumble as if I was drunk and would just miss the wall, infact we braved a camping trip and I fell on the kids on the other side of the tent it was that bad.

Am now doing loads of classes as just on Tam, do notice I am redder and sweat more, but am back to the very hard areobic classes pre cancer. Tonight I have done a 45 minute body conditioning + step 3 class back to back. I still have to take very regular water breaks and wipe myself with a towel more than I used too but am really enjoying it. I used to run pre BC but have put off by my weight gain especially the old tam love handles, but hoping to get back into it.

I would just say go for it but take it in your stride and listen to your body, if you need to stop or slow down then do so. like comments above our bodies have been thru a hell of a lot and need looking after.

Debbie

Please use plain text.
helfire

Hi Wizzbaby

I have been on tamoxifen for nearly 2 years now. I wouldn't call myself a runner, but I like to go for a jog. I was up to a couple of miles just after christmas and felt great, aiming to do my local 5k this summer. However I have been struck by bouts of severe tiredness, and tight chest/heavy breathing as if my body is exhausted, and I don't think I could run for the bus at the moment. The doctor is testing my thyroid (awaiting results), but on reading the leaflet in the tamoxifen tablet box, a lot of the symptoms are very similar. If it is not my thyroid then I am going to ask the bcn if there are alternative tablets, as at the moment I have to pace my day, work is getting more difficult and I'm not giving the time to the kids or house that I should.

Hope my thoughts help and you get sorted out.

p.s. I to had radiotherapy but not chemo

Please use plain text.
RoadRunner

Hi Wizzbaby,

Don't forget that the after effects of chemo can stick around for a long time. I have had numerous ups & downs throughout my treatment. After chemo finished I seemed to get better for a while, then the herceptin started to take its toll & everything got worse again. Now, 3 months on from finishing herceptin (still on tamoxifen) it's getting better again. I have signed up for the 10k Race for Life this year, having done the 5k for the last two years. Last year I ran it with my older daughter, 18 at the time, which was really nice as she is faster than me and spurred me on. My younger daughter (then 13) walked it with a friend.

I still feel tired a lot of the time, I'm hoping this will get better with time.

Enjoy your running!

Please use plain text.
Wizzbaby

Thanks eal

I walked the Race for Life with my daughter (then 7) last year this year I'm determined to run it and in a good time. It was such a positive thing to do with her last July having finished radiotherapy in May. However I'll leave the marathon running to you and others.

Thanks for your reply - take care

Please use plain text.
eal69eal

Hi Wizzbaby
I'm a runner and also on Tamoxifen. I didn't have radiotherapy though as had Mastectomy so I can't comment on effects of Radiotherapy and I've read on these forums some people having lung side effects.
My running is pretty unaffected by the Tamoxifen. I ran throughout the FEC chemo but then the Tax knocked me for six so didn't run for a while. I remember it took me a while to get back to it and I did feel it hard at first. I'm back up to about 25 miles a week now. I'm hoping to run the London marathon next year.
Well done you for building up to 30 mins non stop that's quite a feat when you start from scratch even without the BC to contend with.When you next have a hosp visit it might be worth asking them about your lungs and checking they are happy for you to run. As long as they are happy with it then I think you'll find the more you perservere with it the easier it becomes. I often find with training that I go through periods where I don't feel i'm getting anywhere especially when you have a break like snow/sick children etc and then suddenly it all clicks into place again.
Good luck with it all and I hope you enjoy the race for life. I've entered the High Wycombe one in June with my 10 & 8 year old but I'm thinking it will be more like a walk with them but it should be a fun day out.
Take care

Please use plain text.
Wizzbaby

Bumping up - can anyone help?

Please use plain text.
Wizzbaby

Running and Tamoxifen

I have a question for all the runners out there.

I started walking after chemo and surgery last April, I continued it after radiotherapy side-effects in June and then started a running programme which built up slowly over 8 weeks until I could jog for a straight 30 minutes.

I started after a Christmas/snow/ill children break and can still do a 30 minute jog but it's not getting easier, in fact it's getting harder. In fact I'm worried that my lungs are not as good as they were.

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for me to improve? How have others coped whilst on Tamoxifen. My aim is to run the Race for Life in June (this year!)

thank you

Please use plain text.