the breast cancer
support charity

4littlecherubs

Re: Mastectomy.. What should I expect>

The worst bit is trying to get comfy in bed....im a little stiff in the mornings from laying in the same position all night! Would love to snuggle down on my tummy :-/ xx
Please use plain text.
4littlecherubs

I know kate, I have 4 children and was dreading my op mainly because of them! I was given pain killers to bring home but havnt needed to take any, I know we all recover differently but I think you will be suprised....I also expected lots of pain but im very comfortable and able to manage all the exercises ive been given by physio.
Good luck xx
Please use plain text.
Kander

Thanks for the reply. I guess i was expecting excruciating pain but to hear it's not quite that bad is good news. My biggest fear in all this is not being able to care for my girls. 

k

Please use plain text.
4littlecherubs

Hi kate,
I had a mastectomy yesterday and I feel fine, mine was a single masectomy tho. I had my op at 9am and was home last night, my drain came out today and I can move my arm quite freely tho it obv does feel a little stiff. I was given an information leaflet and it say you can drive after 2 weeks so I think recovery is a lot quicker than we think. My consultant said its not as bad as we think it is going to be because there is only tissue....no muscle. I wouldnt lift my little boy as I am today but I have had him lifted on to my knee for cuddles xx
Please use plain text.
Kander

Mastectomy.. What should I expect>

I'm due to have a mastectomy soon and I'm nervous (obviously). I know what to expect to the point of having my breast tissue removed and replaced with a "tissue filler", but what should I expect recovery wise. What will the pain be like and how will it affect my day to day activities. I don't mean like running off to play tennis but I have 3 girls (under the age of 6.. 1 a 21 week old baby). How long will I not be able to hold my child properly for??

Lots of questions and worries are starting to creep in, I know I can speak with my Macmillan nurse but If anyone could give me a bit of insight I'd be happier and ready when it comes to booby off day!

Thanks in advance

Kate

Please use plain text.