the breast cancer
support charity

Annie22

Re: Calcification/DCIS/Mastectomy/Reconstruction

just read a comment about being 'too thin' for a flap. I dont think this is correct. I was too thin for all the reconstructions taking 'flaps' from other parts of the body (eg: thigh, tummy), but the advice to me was that the LD flap doesn't need any fat, it is about using the muscle from your back and is a good option for everyone or anyone who doesn't like the idea of a strattice reconstruction. Once you've got the muscle there, it can be filled with an implant if you dont have the fat.
Annie
Please use plain text.
Yvonney1

Oh bless you. I too have just gone through this a second time and am in the dificult position of deciding on a lumpectomy and radiotherapy OR Mastectomy. Shocking and petrifying. I am erring on the side of mastectomy but Oh its scary. I had a moment this morning when a friend I hadnt spoken too rang me completely out of the blue just as I was to ring the clinic in turmoil to make my decsision. She has just gone through a double mastectomy and is ten days post op. I have now decided on speaking to her to go ahaed with the mastectomy. She is amazing and if she can go through it then I can and must. It is such a hard position to be in. I dont know if im right, but a little more at peace having made the decision after many sleepless nights and hours on web sites and forums. Good luck. You dont need it though you will be fine. Thinking of you. Get plenty of hugs and rest. xx
Please use plain text.
SueM62

Hi Eileen, I'm sorry you have received your terrible news. You're where I was about two months ago...and I know that it's not a nice place. I am going for my mastectomy on Wednesday this week and they are going to do an immediate strattice reconstruction. It seems different consultants favour different reconstructions, so I'm sorry I give you any advice/guidance on your reconstruction, but I do know what you mean - it being drastic, I've felt exactly the same. The consultant told me that I could have a WLE (lumpectomy), but I would still have a 22% chance that I would need a mastectomy, these weren't odds I wanted to play around with, so I went straight to mastectomy. You will get through this, we are 'lucky' as DCIS is more treatable than some cancers. Please stay positive, I know that's easy to say, but believe me, it really helps your mental strength. If you want to PM me, please feel free. Love Sue x
Please use plain text.
Lucy_BCC

Hi Eileen and welcome to the BCC forums

I am sorry that you have found yourself here, I am sure your fellow users will be along soon with support and shared experiences and our helpline is open weekdays 9-5 and Sat 10-2 on 0808 800 6000 so please feel free to call for further support and information

I am posting a link to the BCC 'DCIS' information which I hope you will find helpful:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-information/about-breast-cancer/primary-breast-cancer/types-primary-breast-cancer/ductal-carcinoma-situ-dcis

BCC offer other types of support too including 'One to one peer support via email/telephone which you can read more about here:

http://www.breastcancercare.org.uk/breast-cancer-services/someone-talk

Take care

Lucy

Please use plain text.
eileen101

testing I just wrote a very long from the heart post and it didn't go on......
Please use plain text.
eileen101

Hi everyone I have just been diagnosed with breast cancer and I feel in shock and feel like I have to learn a new language. I have to say its been a help reading the posts today. I have no idea what stage/level the cancer is at its the dcis one told I have to have a mastectomy I would have thought take out the lump and blast my breat with radiotherapy....but I don't know...it alls seem so drastic. Cosnultant talking about a back flap re-con which will take about 6 hours. The option of an implant was discounted right away because they said my 'good' breast would over time sag??? why cant they put an implant in both??? A simpler op less chance of complications??? Oh i don't know? So many variables..
Please use plain text.
StellaG

Hi Wendy
I was in hospital 3 nights (had haematoma, but that's just me!!). I was up and about the next morning and it was surprisingly uncomplicated recovery. I had some Tramadols for pain relief but apart from that, it was fine. Had op Sept 20th, exchange surgery (I was fitted with tissue expander as only had tiny boob before) just before Xmas and back at work 1st Feb.
The finished result is very good. I had nipple reconstruction later and that looks good too.
Stella xx
Please use plain text.
Wendy56

Thanks Stella. Still got to discuss with surgeon but like to get gened up before. Still on chemo last one should be 5th March and then mastectomy but don't really want flap and this one sounds ideal. Also thinking bilateral mastectomy as also had BC in ther side 14 years ago and don't want to worry about a third time!

What sort of recovery time can I expect and how long in hospital.

Thanks for info so far

Wendy
Please use plain text.
StellaG

Hi Wendy.
A strattice reconstruction is where the surgeon uses a strattice mesh derived from pig collagen to construct an internal "bra" which is stitched to the chest wall then an implant is used to fill it out. I had it done that way because Inwas too thin for the flap reconstructions. The max cup size you have get with this is a C cup. I had my other boob boosted with an implant to match. Also the mastectomy and reconstruction op was only just over 2 hours.
Hope this explains it but please feel free to ask any questions.
Stella xx
Please use plain text.
Wendy56

Could somebody please explain what a strategic e reconstruction is . Ta
Please use plain text.
Cheryl17

Hi everyone just to give you an update... My MX, LD back flap reconstruction and implant operation lasted 9 hours. I had 3 drains, 2 in the back and 1 in the front. The first 24 hours were rough mainly due to low blood pressure and a collapsed vein where the canulla had been inserted whilst injecting antibiotics in. In fact that was the most painful part of the procedure. By day 6 all the drains had been removed and I left hospital. It is now day 9 and I feel good just taking regular paracetomal and codeine phosphate to keep the pain at bay. My hand is still painful and swollen lol. I have been prepared for weekly visits to the ward to have fluid drained from my back. My boob looks ok, very swollen, little pain just a feeling of tightness. it is inconvenient notbeing able to wear t shirts as I am not allowed tolift my arm more than 90 degrees but it won't last forever. My next consultant appointment is Tuesday evening when I should have the results of the pathology report. Fingers crossed it is clear so I can just concentrate on recovery without the need for any further treatment. I am a 38C . Thinking of you all and sending big hugs Sue have you had the resuLts of your biopsies yet?xxxxx
Please use plain text.
SueM62

Hi Stella, that's great to hear, I'm so glad you're doing so well. I had two further core biopsies this week and will get my results this Friday. After my initial core biopsy, my consultant and breast care nurse seemed to think mastectomy and immediate reconstruction is inevitable. Still struggling to get my head round, but to hear any positive stories such as yours gives me hope. Thanks so much. Sue
Please use plain text.
StellaG

Hi Sue
I had mastectomy with an immediate strattice reconstruction in 2010. I went from a tiny AA cup to a C cup then had the other one augmented to match 3 months later. They look stunning (even though I say it myself!!).
Pleased to answer any questions you have.
Stella xx
Please use plain text.
SueM62

Hi Clare, I'm pleased your son handled everything so well, so far after a wobbly start my two are handling it ok. I hope the chemo hasn't been too difficult, I get the impression I won't be needing any chemo and slight chance of radio. It sounds like you have had good results from your reconstructionyo being the first person I have talked too who has had the strattice, it has given me some comfort to know that you're ok. Thanks so much. I wish you luck on your continued recovery. Sue x
Please use plain text.
SueM62

Hi Cheryl, thanks for replying, I do so hope it goes well for you tomorrow, I've had one core biopsy and having two more next week, I had a fine needle aspiration under my arm as there was a thickened lymph node, but thankfully it was negative so i don't know if ill need a SLNB. I'm wishing you very best wishes for tomorrow. Sue x
Please use plain text.
ClareHa

Cheryl - Good luck for you operation tomorrow!
Clare.
Please use plain text.
ClareHa

Hi Sue
My son was 7 when I was diagnosed (is 8 now). He has handled everthing brilliantly but we have made sure to tell him what was happening to me each step of the way so there were no nasty surprises for him. I'm now down to one chemo cycle to do and then tamoxifen so can start to see the light at the end of the tunnel. Mum came as much for her benefit as mine I think. If she's here she knows how I am, if she's at the end of the phone I might be saying I'm ok when I'm not!
Yes, I did have my mastectomy and reconstruction all in one operation.

I'm about a 36D/38C and so the surgeon was able to matach my reconstruction pretty closely to my natural size. I was a bit lopsided immediately after surgery but as my reconstruction settled (takes about 12 weeks or so because there is an awful lot of internal healing to take place) things have evened up. In fact I put my old swim suit on for the first time last week (in readiness for finishing chemo) and was really pleased how even I looked in it. Someone would have to look pretty closely to see that there is a difference.
If you do feel lopsided for a while you might be able to get something to put into your bra on you smaller side to make you look less lopsided when you are dressed.
Clare.
Please use plain text.
SueM62

Sorry Clare, another question - did you have your mastectomy and implant done at the same time? Thank you x
Please use plain text.
SueM62

Hi Clare, it's so great to hear you're doing so well. I too have young children, and of course that's the big concern - it sounds like you had a great help from your mum, I'm also lucky on that score. Can I ask - did you have your reconstruction to your original size? I'm a 38gg and ideally would like to go to a D and have the other reduced later? I'm very concerned that until the second op, I'm going to look very 'lopsided'. Sue
Please use plain text.
Cheryl17

Hi Sue, Iknew exactly what you mean about life changing decisions. I was diagnosed in November with multi site high grade DCIS and I will be having a MX and immediate reconstruction tomorrow using the LD back flap. It is so scary and I wish of all wishes that I hadn't trodden thispath, but here I am thankful that it wascaught very early and receiving fantastic support frompeople on this forum. Presumably your next step will be to have a SLNB, mine thankfully was clear. good luck with whatever decision you make and remember that with DCIS you can afford to research, check out all the options and reach the right decision for you. Big hugs to you. Xxxxxx
Please use plain text.