the breast cancer
support charity

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Samntha

Re: Top tips to help get you through Chemotherapy

Spirulina? I seem to feel sicker on wheatgrass.
I am also drinking aloe Vera juice, ( to calm the gut) but quite frankly it smells vile.
Please use plain text.
Chaise

Hi - I also had a leak in the chemo drugs & also a swelling in the arm. When I saw my oncologist he said it was 2 different things going on. The swelling in my arm was caused by the veins getting a bit fed up and it should go down in a month (fingers crossed), however still sore and I cant keep my arm straight. The leak went red then blisters but is going down - this has taken 3 weeks. I hope this will be the same for you - I had chemo yesterday and they put the cannular near my little finger and this seemed to work ok - I only have 2 left now and I said at No 1 that I wouldnt have anymore - keep going girl - we will get there! xx
Please use plain text.
hbunny

Hi team.  I'm just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on foods to help Increase white blood count.  I've just bought some wheat grass powder, has anyone got any suggestions or advice?  Thanks hbunny

Please use plain text.
sugar8

Hi hbunny
Hope your lymphodema has resolved and the swelling in your forearm has sorted itself out. Hope you are having a relaxing day today
Hugs
Sugar8
Please use plain text.
hbunny

Hi sugar, contacted the help line yesterday and saw an oncologist within an hour.  They weren't worried about the lymphodema in the ankle, and that is definitely better this am, however were concerned about swelling in forearm, which was caused by a leak of chemo drugs into the surrounding tissue which could cause problems and will need to keep an eye on it for ulceration.  It does however look a little better this am (she says holding her breath), but will see what happens over the next few days, hopefully got away with it!  Now day 5 cycle 2 fec100 + tax (3x each) and one third there!

Just a bit anxious now about what happens for cycle 3-6 to prevent a recurrance.

Hope you are doing well sugar. Positive hugs.  Hbunny

Please use plain text.
sugar8

hbunny
Have you contacted your Bc nurse re your lymphodema? Did they give you a contact number to call if you develop it because the earlier they see you the better. x x
Please use plain text.
hbunny

Hi all, sorry to butt I to your thread, I've just popped over from the July thread to see if anyone has any tips.  I'm doing fec100 + tax (3of each) and now day 3 of fec 2.  I have suffered with phalbitis since day 1 cycle 1 but last night saw lymphodema pop up in my arm and ankle (r). Anyone know what causes this side effect or any tips to help.  Currently walking around in a compression sock and tuby grip and massaging regularly.

Ps, will have to get the smoothly maker out I bought a couple of years ago and never used, thanks for reminding me.  Love to all going through crap right now, happy to say I haven't been sick yet but the side effects are different this time round, probably due to changes to anti sick meds.

Thanks for any suggestions offered.  Hbunny xx

Please use plain text.
Chaise

Hi Julie. Thanks for your reply with such great tips - I never thought of smoothies and bought blender today! Trusting you are going through this bit of a blip in our health as best as you can - as with all the ladies and gents on this website, think positively,and together we will get through this (Im ok writing this in week 2 and 3 after treatment !!! xxx
Please use plain text.
Julie286

Hi Chaise. I find that I can't get enough fizzy water - I squeeze a bit of lemon or lime in it - nothing else seems to satisfy my thirst in that 1st week or so. But drinking lots definitely seems so help me feel a bit better. The packs of frozen fruit are really good too - mostly use them to make a smoothie - literally just chop a bit of fresh fruit (usually include a banana for sweetness) with a handful of frozen fruit, a bit of milk and whizz - much easier than eating fruit with no taste (because of the lovely side effects!!). And - the frozen pineapple is nice on it's own to eat - weird but true!! Good luck with everything xxxxxxx
Please use plain text.
Chaise

Hi Louise, Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is most appreciated. Yes, I am on FEC too.I will take your advice on the fruit - probably not doing this as much as I should but Im definately drinking - one day soon Im sure Rose Wine will be back on the agenda! But for now fruit juices and water!!

Well done on only having 2 more to go, go for it girl and as for everyone sending you my good wishes and happy healthy life from now on, for the future.

I do enjoy this website, but probably I shouldnt write on it when feeling down and would prefer to spirit other friends on this website with joys of encouragement. xx

Please use plain text.
Jeremiah29

I know I too thought the 1st dose was awful but now am thinking that maybe with each dose it gets worst.  2nd dose was 6 days ago with 1st dose of Herceptin and only  just feeling human.  I couldnt quite believe I could feel that ill and still be alive!  I had to give myself a stern telling off each time! Hang on in as I am trying to do, when we hit rock bottom the only way is up!

Please use plain text.
Louise3721

Hi chaise it is very demoralising when the s/es are bad I too am very ill after chemotherapy it takes me a week before i start to feel like normal. What chemotherapy are you having I am on Fec and that about sums it up!

The best advice I can give is drink plenty eat lots of fresh fruit and fibre. I find it washes the damned stuff out of you .

I have been put on tranquilisers because my body rejects the chemotherapy so I start throwing up as it's being administered. Fabulous eh?

I have 2 more to go then I am done. I also eat a lot of steaks before getting blood done to make sure my iron count is high.

Good luck and just keep going. Get support from here and your Macmillan centre and get a break planned to give you something to look forward to x
Please use plain text.
Chaise

I thought my 1st treatment was hell and kept a diary for the oncologist and he changed the sickness treatment after, but just had 2nd and again, sorry to say that was hell too, its now day 5 after treatment and still feeling very sick, got given Metoclopramide by the hospital but they are not working, I also started to loose hair and Im not sleeping - as I live on my own unfortunately the days are long and not sure if I can get through another 4 treatments - really need a kick up the xxx! I took 1/2 sleeping tablet one night but it made me buckle and I couldnt stop myself falling so hurt knee and wrist - so a bit down in the dumps. Please let me know any tips to get me through months.

Please use plain text.
sugar8

Top tips to help get you through Chemotherapy

Angel77 said:

hi all . i had my second chemo TC-H on 2 july and have lost most of my hair so today im going to shave it all off . the main thing i struggle with is the gcsf injections and loose of taste .. anybody got any tips to quench my thirst ? x hope your all doing ok . i have 2 chemos left to go x.

.................................................................................

Hi Angel77. Good to see that you are manging well. It's amazing how we just get on with the treatment an side effects once we begin the journey. Was the 2nd cycle any easier, the same SEs,or worse.

I am struggling with the gcsf also but mine in the flatulence and bloatedness that i don't know what todowith myself senario. Anyway today I danced and it worked. No discomfort after a while a felt much happier.

The lost of taste also happen for me but my body seems to crave the food that I can actually  taste so listen to what it tells you and eat what you crave.I feel like a pregnat mother with these cravings :-)

Don't know about the thirst. i set my alarm to drink water every hour during the day and so far so good.Have you tried sucking the pineapple lollies?

Keepwell

Sugar8 

Please use plain text.
julesk

Hi there im do to have my 3rd fec on thurs. I drink dilute lemon by savers at morrison or banana milk cold qeunches thirst.also I drink around 8 glasses water a dau maybe more good for hair skin nails from julesk
Please use plain text.
angel77

hi all . i had my second chemo TC-H on 2 july and have lost most of my hair so today im going to shave it all off . the main thing i struggle with is the gcsf injections and loose of taste .. anybody got any tips to quench my thirst ? x hope your all doing ok . i have 2 chemos left to go x
Please use plain text.
Athens

Hi Ruthieee
How did you manage to hold onto your hair til this stage???
At my preassessment yesterday for my second FEC, so Day 21 of cycle one, I was told it was unusual to still have hair at this stage - I have what looks like a head of short hair though it started shedding on Day17.
So interested to hear how you did it! I am not using a cold cap as it is not offered at my hospital.
Good luck with the T regime.
Athens
Please use plain text.
Ruthieee

Hi I have just finished my fourth fec,still got hair,lucky me,,defo won't miss the qui senses and muggy head,will start thr t,regime next,feeling worried again
Please use plain text.
Christina0

smileyvery-happy:Hi all

Just had my first FEC-T treatment yesterday, so far, so good! Had a bit of a 'fuzzy' head all day, but apart from that, tickety boo!

Lots of handy tips on here to keep me going as any needs arise, thank you for taking the time to share :-)

Please use plain text.
sugar8

Thanks Biddlybee. I have printed out a copy as I find this very useful. I am starting chemo soon and all tips welcome.
Please use plain text.