the breast cancer
support charity

Chaise

Re: Top tips to help get you through Chemotherapy

Hi Julie. Thanks for your reply with such great tips - I never thought of smoothies and bought blender today! Trusting you are going through this bit of a blip in our health as best as you can - as with all the ladies and gents on this website, think positively,and together we will get through this (Im ok writing this in week 2 and 3 after treatment !!! xxx
Please use plain text.
Julie286

Hi Chaise. I find that I can't get enough fizzy water - I squeeze a bit of lemon or lime in it - nothing else seems to satisfy my thirst in that 1st week or so. But drinking lots definitely seems so help me feel a bit better. The packs of frozen fruit are really good too - mostly use them to make a smoothie - literally just chop a bit of fresh fruit (usually include a banana for sweetness) with a handful of frozen fruit, a bit of milk and whizz - much easier than eating fruit with no taste (because of the lovely side effects!!). And - the frozen pineapple is nice on it's own to eat - weird but true!! Good luck with everything xxxxxxx
Please use plain text.
Chaise

Hi Louise, Thank you for taking the time to reply, it is most appreciated. Yes, I am on FEC too.I will take your advice on the fruit - probably not doing this as much as I should but Im definately drinking - one day soon Im sure Rose Wine will be back on the agenda! But for now fruit juices and water!!

Well done on only having 2 more to go, go for it girl and as for everyone sending you my good wishes and happy healthy life from now on, for the future.

I do enjoy this website, but probably I shouldnt write on it when feeling down and would prefer to spirit other friends on this website with joys of encouragement. xx

Please use plain text.
Jeremiah29

I know I too thought the 1st dose was awful but now am thinking that maybe with each dose it gets worst.  2nd dose was 6 days ago with 1st dose of Herceptin and only  just feeling human.  I couldnt quite believe I could feel that ill and still be alive!  I had to give myself a stern telling off each time! Hang on in as I am trying to do, when we hit rock bottom the only way is up!

Please use plain text.
Louise3721

Hi chaise it is very demoralising when the s/es are bad I too am very ill after chemotherapy it takes me a week before i start to feel like normal. What chemotherapy are you having I am on Fec and that about sums it up!

The best advice I can give is drink plenty eat lots of fresh fruit and fibre. I find it washes the damned stuff out of you .

I have been put on tranquilisers because my body rejects the chemotherapy so I start throwing up as it's being administered. Fabulous eh?

I have 2 more to go then I am done. I also eat a lot of steaks before getting blood done to make sure my iron count is high.

Good luck and just keep going. Get support from here and your Macmillan centre and get a break planned to give you something to look forward to x
Please use plain text.
Chaise

I thought my 1st treatment was hell and kept a diary for the oncologist and he changed the sickness treatment after, but just had 2nd and again, sorry to say that was hell too, its now day 5 after treatment and still feeling very sick, got given Metoclopramide by the hospital but they are not working, I also started to loose hair and Im not sleeping - as I live on my own unfortunately the days are long and not sure if I can get through another 4 treatments - really need a kick up the xxx! I took 1/2 sleeping tablet one night but it made me buckle and I couldnt stop myself falling so hurt knee and wrist - so a bit down in the dumps. Please let me know any tips to get me through months.

Please use plain text.
sugar8

Top tips to help get you through Chemotherapy

Angel77 said:

hi all . i had my second chemo TC-H on 2 july and have lost most of my hair so today im going to shave it all off . the main thing i struggle with is the gcsf injections and loose of taste .. anybody got any tips to quench my thirst ? x hope your all doing ok . i have 2 chemos left to go x.

.................................................................................

Hi Angel77. Good to see that you are manging well. It's amazing how we just get on with the treatment an side effects once we begin the journey. Was the 2nd cycle any easier, the same SEs,or worse.

I am struggling with the gcsf also but mine in the flatulence and bloatedness that i don't know what todowith myself senario. Anyway today I danced and it worked. No discomfort after a while a felt much happier.

The lost of taste also happen for me but my body seems to crave the food that I can actually  taste so listen to what it tells you and eat what you crave.I feel like a pregnat mother with these cravings :-)

Don't know about the thirst. i set my alarm to drink water every hour during the day and so far so good.Have you tried sucking the pineapple lollies?

Keepwell

Sugar8 

Please use plain text.
julesk

Hi there im do to have my 3rd fec on thurs. I drink dilute lemon by savers at morrison or banana milk cold qeunches thirst.also I drink around 8 glasses water a dau maybe more good for hair skin nails from julesk
Please use plain text.
angel77

hi all . i had my second chemo TC-H on 2 july and have lost most of my hair so today im going to shave it all off . the main thing i struggle with is the gcsf injections and loose of taste .. anybody got any tips to quench my thirst ? x hope your all doing ok . i have 2 chemos left to go x
Please use plain text.
Athens

Hi Ruthieee
How did you manage to hold onto your hair til this stage???
At my preassessment yesterday for my second FEC, so Day 21 of cycle one, I was told it was unusual to still have hair at this stage - I have what looks like a head of short hair though it started shedding on Day17.
So interested to hear how you did it! I am not using a cold cap as it is not offered at my hospital.
Good luck with the T regime.
Athens
Please use plain text.
Ruthieee

Hi I have just finished my fourth fec,still got hair,lucky me,,defo won't miss the qui senses and muggy head,will start thr t,regime next,feeling worried again
Please use plain text.
Christina0

smileyvery-happy:Hi all

Just had my first FEC-T treatment yesterday, so far, so good! Had a bit of a 'fuzzy' head all day, but apart from that, tickety boo!

Lots of handy tips on here to keep me going as any needs arise, thank you for taking the time to share :-)

Please use plain text.
sugar8

Thanks Biddlybee. I have printed out a copy as I find this very useful. I am starting chemo soon and all tips welcome.
Please use plain text.
rosie14

Oh I shall be sending my DH out to get me an ice lolly to suck whilst having chemo. The taste in the mouth is the one of the worst things!
Please use plain text.
Debs-

Hey Queen Bee i had that experience with my 1st fec and t...

Hey Queen Bee i had that experience with my 1st fec and then it turned into feeling like i had been hit over neck and back of a head with a metal pole !!! I rang hos and they said take pain killers,it helped and never had it since.they seemed to be pretty familiar with it but did say to ring back if pain meds didnt work ...hot water bottle help alot.

Please use plain text.
Debs-

Hey Queen Bee i had that experience with my 1st fec and then it turned into feeling like i had been hit over neck and back of a head with a metal pole !!! I rang hos and they said take pain killers,it helped and never had it since.they seemed to be pretty familiar with it but did say to ring back if pain meds didnt work ...hot water bottle help alot.

Please use plain text.
Naturegirl15

Not something I recognise myself. Perhaps contact your breast care nurse queenbee
Please use plain text.
queenbee1407

Over the last 24 hours, now day 2, I have felt my head getting a tight feeling. Not unpleasant, just aware. Is this a reaction to the chemo.
Please use plain text.
queenbee1407

Over the last 24 hours, now day 2, I have felt my head getting a tight feeling. Not unpleasant, just aware. Is this a reaction to the chemo!
Please use plain text.
Louise3721

Hi hope all goes well the best thing I heard was to go with your body .Sleep when tired and eat little and often. Xx
Please use plain text.