the breast cancer
support charity

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Community Manager

Re: Top tips to help get you through Chemotherapy

Hi Jenni North, 

Welcome to the forum and I am sure users will be along soon to offer support and tips. 

I have moved your post to our busy and supportive Top tips to help get you through Chemotherapy thread to give our users more of a chance to respond.

Best wishes, 

Lizzy 

Digital Community Assistant 

Upcoming chemotherapy

Hi, I am new to this forum and need a bit of support. I was diagnosed with bc in December and yesterday it was confirmed lymph nodes affected so I have been advised to have chemotherapy. Have any of you got food or other tips as to how best get through this and what you can do daily? With love.

Hi Sue....... You started chemo same date as me and haven't heard from you for ages on the December thread. Wondered how you're doing?? Xxx Tina

Tip for getting through pain of chemotherapy is only useful if people know about the drugs that they are taking.  People fighting cancer can find informaton about the specific side effects of drugs in the following link. This will help them to find appropriate alternatives conteract the side effects:

http://www.oncologybiomarkers.com/2016/01/chemotherapy-for-most-common-cancers.html

Pammy I used the paxman cold cap and was also given a wheat bag warmed up in the microwave which I used although not near the cold cap - maybe you could take one and ask them to warm up for you - also I had a pillow and duvet.  I also took a 5mg lorazepam which the hospital gave me and that really relaxes you and I slept a lot through mine.  I finished at end October and kept most of my hair on the 12 weekly Paclitaxol.  I also only washed my hair twice a week and used natural "Lush" products, a wide toothed comb and slept on a satin pillowcase as the satin is more gentle on your hair.  Good luck everyone xxx

I went on moneysupermarket.com and got a quote for £21.35 for 2 weeks in Greece!! That also included my kidney disease as well as breast cancer diagnosis! Give them a go Smiley Happy
Xx

Hi,

New to the forum ladies. Started chemo 18th dec , next one 8th jan. We were planning a long haul hol this march folloeing tge end of my partners chemo ended in Dec 15. However, mine with radio end in summertime. What is the policy for flying and any details travel ins greatly appreciated. 

Love and good luck to all Sue xx

thank you . i had my dobule fect dose on boxing day . so day five today my throat feels like raw flesh.. and hard to sallow. so water tip is great will start ... already coming out in sore spots in head and face. my musells feel like i have been badly hit by a huge bat . so good to hear not just me . so again thank you xx

Hi, yes must remember to take a small blanket, thank you for that, as my daughter had to have our coats piled on her to keep her warm when she wore the ice cap. Keep well.

Hi, my name is Pam and I start EC at the end of this month. I will try the ice cap, hopefully it will work but if not I tried. My daughter went through a different chemo three years ago, so sort of expect some uncomfortable effects. Hope everyone get through this with too much discomfort.

SLC

I had my first round of 8 yesterday.  EC for 4 rounds then taxol for 4 rounds. The cold cap was bearable. After about 10 minutes you get used to it. Well kind of. Make sure they put padding on the top if there's any gaps and make it as flat as possible on the top. I also used a scarf and tied it from the top of my head to under my chin to make it as tight as possible! Got to do what you can. I've been told that my hair will definitely fall out with taxol without the cap so nothing to lose. Only 1 day it but so far so good. I would just say to bring layers and use a blanket and watch a movie or something that's going to distract you. 

I finished fec-t 2 yrs ago this month.
my top tips for getting through it:-
Drink 2 litres of water the day before, the day of and the day after chemo - don't chug it, just sips throughout the day. I discovered this tip before 2nd fec and felt soooo much better than after 1st dose.

Steroids - take at 8am and noon, I had no problems with them or sleeping.

Take all the meds they give you - if you wait till you feel sick it's probably too late.

I was allergic to metoclopromide so this was changed to ondan something whch did nothing for me so ended up on Emend, granesetron and cyclazine - I still felt a bit weird or wired even lol

If you're sick you must tell your team they've loads of meds in their arsenal to choose from so don't suffer as there really is no need.

T
I felt much better on this regime but did suffer with awful pain days 5-8, paracetamol/ibuprofen/codeine combo didn't touch it. I felt like I'd been beaten up with a baseball bat.
Onc gave me the 'steroid tale' for the remaining doses whch yes was more steroids but it worked like a miracle cure.

this one affects your nails - my onc advised I wear a solid colour varnish (no it doesn't have to be black) the thinking is that the chemo reacts to ultra violet light in the nail bed which can cause the nail to lift.  I never left the house in day light hours without putting on gloves even when just nipping out to the dustbin.  I wore nail varnish throughout and although my nails felt bruised at times I didn't lose one - could be coincidence......  Ooh don't forget the same applies to your toe nails but obviously socks not gloves lol

as for hair - I didn't cold cap and my hair started to fall around day 17, I clippered it to a grade 3 before 2nd dose. My hair is now shoulder length.

good luck to you all x

Hi hopefulholly. If you are over 50 Saga is cheaper

Yes, I had full node clearance but I checked with my oncologist before booking and she said to go ahead with it. To be honest I was more concerned with vaccinations and hadn't thought about the nodes 're risk of lymphedema but I'm sure the onc would have considered that. I hope so because it's all booked! x

India, very nice. Did you have any nodes removed? Just thinking of long flights x

Hi Bazza, I've booked a holiday to India in Feb for 2 wks and got a fully comp quote for £274 from Staysure (other insurance companies are available!) and was told the quote will be reduced to about £230 if I wait until chemo finishes and to £159 after being cancer free for 2 years. This is a lot more than I usually pay but I desperately need a holiday and I'm just looking at it as part of the overall holiday cost. Unfortunately for me, my last 3 chemos had to be cancelled due to complications but it does mean that my radiotherapy has been brought forward so end of treatment (excluding Letroxole and blood thinning injections to treat blood clot) will be mid October for me.

It's worth shopping around but I think most insurance companies whack a premium on policies for travellers who have had cancer regardless of the prognosis. Good luck with your search and let me know if you or other readers manage to find more reasonable cover.

How many of you are planning a holiday after your treatment? I've seen that insurance can  cause a few problems. 

I wanted to try the Cole cap but my oncologist said if you are having EC you will loose almost all your hair. She advised me against it because of my COPD. Do not think I could sit for 4 hours on my head but as a lot of ladies say small price to pay if you keep your hair.

Hi Sarahd,

Yes I will check but just wanted an idea, thank you

Best wishes

Sandra