the breast cancer
support charity

fowey

Re: Top tips to help get you through Chemotherapy

Hi Everyone,

I am about to embark on 6 months of chemotherapy ( seeing the chemo nurses today for the first time ). I have scrolled back to pick up on some of your tips and wondered if there are any basic just starting xhemo tips for a newbie? Thanks xx Ruth xx

Please use plain text.
betblack

my top tips would be-

or the couple of days every cycle where my mouth was too sensitive even for mild toothpaste - brush gently with bicarbonate of soda instead of toothpaste.

I had horrible acid reflux / heartburn, and I found drinking hazelnut or almond alpro, both of which are v alkaline, to soothe all the passage of my acidic gullet and relieve the acid for a while. Personally I found it more effective than the medical alternatives, and of course it had no side effects and is quite nice!

Good luck everyone x

Please use plain text.
rosie14

Sorry the below is for scattyfox!
Please use plain text.
rosie14

A puzzle book, a magazine, some boiled sweets to suck, bottle of water, mobile phone, overnight kit in case they keep you in. Don't forget your pen or pencil for the puzzle book!
Please use plain text.
scattyfox

Thanks June unfortunately i am at work and cannot call so thought i would ask on here

Please use plain text.
June_BCC

Hello Scattyfox

Welcome to the forums. 

As well as the support you will receive on the forums we also have a free helpline where you can talk things through with a member of staff who are there to offer emotional support as well as practical information. The free phone number is 0808 800 6000 and the lines are open Monday to Friday 9.00 to 5.00 and Saturday 10.00 to 2.00.

Best wishes

June, moderator

Please use plain text.
scattyfox

Hi ladies i will be starting my first chemo session in a few weeks once this wound has healed.  Have you any tips as to what i should take with me on the day

thank you

Please use plain text.
Samantha14

Thank you lots of advice.
Please use plain text.
seraphin

try some prunes,,,Ive tried all the meds and all i got was sore tummy ,,,but prunes or prune juice work lovely x
Please use plain text.
seraphin

prunes are very good for me i always keep some in semi dried ones work well for me or the prune juice
Start large dose and then taper off as begin going
Please use plain text.
Pinkbow47

Thank I will give these ago
Please use plain text.
Maryland

Hi Julie......I have practised a couple of breathing techniques since having a collapsed lung in the 80s, which may help? Instead of breathing through the top of your lungs, place your hand on your diaphragm and breathe deeply through the bottom of your lungs......inhale though your nose, hold and exhale through your mouth. Your diaphragm should rise and fall. Another technique is to practise single nostril breathing....put finger over R nostril, breathe in for a count of 4 through L nostril; place fingers over both nostrils for count of 4; exhale through R nostril for count of 4; hold both nostrils for count of 4 then repeat breathing in through R nostril first.....does that make sense? Easier to do than describe!!!! Something else that has helped me to sleep....rather than counting sheep!....is to imagine holding an ice cube at the top of your head and work its way round the whole silhouette of your body, including round individual fingers and toes...very rarely has the ice cube made it back to the top of my head :smileyhappy:. Hope some of this helps? My very best wishes for your treatment....take care x
Please use plain text.
Pinkbow47

Hi my name is julie, I was diagnosed with breast cancer on the 23rd dec, I had a lumpectomy and also my lymph nodes removed on the 10th jan, I have been told that I will have to have chemo radiotherapy also tablets, from finding a lump ant the removal of it was five weeks, i am suffering with anxiety for which my doctor has put me on meds for although they help in the day I'm finding it hard at night, I was wondering if anyone had any breathing methods I could use to help
Please use plain text.
lisac

Thanx for the tips Jo, has helped me to begin to get organised x
Please use plain text.
jellytot83

Hi All,

My tips are on this thread somwehere but have got buried so thought I would post them again:

http://thelittlestjojo.blogspot.co.uk/2012/11/top-tips-for-getting-through-chemo.html

Love Jo xx

Please use plain text.
Jonsi79

Anyone got a really good book they'd recommend whilst going through treatment? Something light, fun and easy to read? xx
Please use plain text.
trish1109

Did not know that , my main problem has been thrush ,really bad in my throat .xx

Please use plain text.
Jemp0812

Hey that's weird I was in boots looking for a toothpaste and gel to keep my mouth wet and found Biotene but did not realise it was free on prescription. Thank you for that, save me a fortune. Bless you.
Please use plain text.
lindsay1964

DONT FORGET to go to the dentist and get floride toothpaste (free on prescription to cancer patients).

Also go to the doctor and ask for Biotene mouthwash and biotene toothpaste - also free on prescription - your doctor may not know about it = just tell him.,

Please use plain text.
lindsay1964

Hi Jemp

I too started FEC on 6 Jan - I had a friend who has gone through it and listened to her advice.....I take  Lysine everyday and a multi vitamin bought from holland and barrett (Lycine is an amino acid that blocks cold sores and can help with throat ulcers....my oncologist said I COULD continue to take it....I've had no problems....I also chewed chewing gum (sugar free gum as soon as I got up in the morning and before I went to bed to help with throat issues - and then rinsed with biotene or salt water to get rid of bacteria)....it seems to help -  hope it helps you...what about bonjela for adults also.

Please use plain text.