the breast cancer
support charity

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: Top tips to help get you through Chemotherapy

Hi, sorry to hear about the sickness. I had my first chemo on 23rd Feb and too bad. I have only had a little reflux but I am on 75% chemo only because of my age. I think u can get stronger anti sick pills, I seem to remember someone mentioning this in a post. I got a massive bottle of Gaviscon from my doctor for the reflux . Telephoned surgery just mentioned breast cancer and I was put through immediately and the prescription was done plus more anti sick pills in case I needed them. My God never had such good service normally have to wait at least 3/4 days for an appointment -- has some benefit being a cancer patient. My next session is 15th April so will look in again to see how you are perhaps by then I will be honking too. Love Eileen xx👍👇🙋

Hi I had first chemo on Monday and am very sick - will b asking for stronger anti sickness round too - but wanted to say that honey And lemon seem to have helped metallic taste and smell which I have also got - also helps to soothe my throat as the vomit burns ( sorry!)

I am due to have my second chemo session tomorrow, the tips really helped 1st time also had cold cap which was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I also found that the need to feed was great, not every day, did try little and often which helped a bit. I'm trying to take one day at a time .

Sorry Kpnuts can't help as I didn't get these nasal symptoms. My taste buds were affected and I ate lots of pineapple and sucks pineapple lollies through the chemo which help to reduce the side effects.

Shinde. I finished my Chemo TCh in Sept'14. I was also very hungry during my chemo. I ate whatever tasted good. I felt like a pregnant woman. Ravenous and I needed to eat my meal on time or else my SEs were worse.

Good luck with your chemo. hope it goes smoothly
sugar

Hi, I'm two cycles in to chemo and wondered if anyone has a tip for dealing with the unpleasant smell I keep getting in my nose? I think it relates to the congestion that EC causes but despite steaming and washing out I keep getting the smell alongside the metallic taste. Any ideas as at the moment it keeps bringing back my nausea feeling and puts me off food. Love Katy

Hi

friends

Are you read about treating that disease type with "a new molecular therapy that uses targeted peptides and proteins to restore cellular function".

Please do a Google search for the term "Peptide treatment", or the company named "Regenerative Cellular Therapy".

Hi I'm new to this and sof far had one chemo session with cold cap. The hints and tips are fantastic! However, I can't stop eating! My taste buds seem to have gone so I am eating everything to see if it satisfied. Crisps and peanuts are the worst. Is anyone else really hungry? X

Thanks so much for these tips, lots of really useful info to help a newbie waiting for first chemo session next week. Stay well x

Hi Lynda

If you go to the first page of this thread ( I think there's about 34 pages!) people have put their hints and tips throughout the thread - it's been running for a few years now but users still find the information helpful.  If there's anything you need to ask and you can't find an answer then please don't be afraid to ask, there's always someone here to help.

Take care

Jo, Moderator

Hi Everyone

Please excuse me but I am new to the forum. I start my first chemo session next Wednesday 17th December and would be interested in the Top Tips for Chemo, but where do I find them?

Kind Regards

Lynda x

[ Edited ]

Hi Flossie my new site has gift packages containing natural products especially selected for each area of treatment. This idea came from my own experience. For more information please send me a private message

What a fantastic list! Thank you to all the contributors :smileyhappy:

Something practical to share with family and friends who want to help - I'm going to ask them to help source items and put bag/packs/caddy together in readiness for when the time comes.

Thank you again xx

Last chemo next week hope to start to feel normal again frightened to go out on my own caseI flake out again where's that come from ?mri scan clear.muat be just me !

sorry if this has been covered in this thread already

can anyone help with a vinegar taste?

i am 9yrs down the line since 1st DX & have had many different chemos over the years

and i remember this happening before but i cant remember what i did to help myself?

my food tastes fine when i am eating it, everything tastes as it should,

but around half n hour after i get a horrible vinegar taste.

the chemo i am on this time is kadcyla

kimi x

Spirulina? I seem to feel sicker on wheatgrass.
I am also drinking aloe Vera juice, ( to calm the gut) but quite frankly it smells vile.